Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2014, 09:21 AM

Default HD OMNI to replace MOTU 828MKII

Hi guys,
I am currently running PT HD 10 native with a MOTU 828 MKII, and I am actually really pleased with this very stable setup.

Lately I have been contemplating the idea of getting an HD OMNI to replace the 828... perhaps to get a better sound quality.

Does anyone have any input on this?

Also, I wanted to know if I could play audio using itunes or quicktime player through the OMNI. Currently I can with the 828.

I am running 10.3.8 on Mac OS X (the one before Maverick)

Thanks

Max
Old 01-03-2014, 11:27 AM

Default Re: HD OMNI to replace MOTU 828MKII

a) you know the OMNI needs a HDN card or TB box to connect to the computer
b) CAM (Core Audio Manager) is not great with the HD/HDX-N/002-3. If you you want simultaneous usage then no

I think you can find equal to better audio quality for the same money from another 3rd party interface from one of the European companies
Now if you want/need what the HD hardware brings to the table then get it

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-03-2014, 01:57 PM

Thanks Craig.

So, in practice pro tools would use my OMNI for playback while all other audio softwares on my computer would use either built-in audio or my motu (if i kept it)... is this correct?

Also, you talk about the advantage of HD... I thought this TB box didn't do anything, expect just interfacing the OMNI with the computer. Am I missing something? What does the OMNI do differently than the motu in terms of HD. I already have PT HD software.

Any names for the European companies you mentioned?

Thanks

MAx
Old 01-03-2014, 02:33 PM

That would work

The potental for up to 64 I/O, the addition of a Sync HD

RME or Focusright is what I was thinking. UA might be an option as well

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-03-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell_ View Post

So, in practice pro tools would use my OMNI for playback while all other audio softwares on my computer would use either built-in audio or my motu (if i kept it)... is this correct?

Yes. For example, I keep the optical out of the Mac plugged into my 96I/O Avid interface and have my template setup as an Aux Input so that it's accessible at any time through PT's mixer. Sounds weird, but it works very well.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Yes. For example, I keep the optical out of the Mac plugged into my 96I/O Avid interface and have my template setup as an Aux Input so that it's accessible at any time through PT's mixer. Sounds weird, but it works very well.

I switched from a moto828/rme fire face configuration using pt10. Using windows I use the coax spdif of my computer into my omni for ext audio apps and control through mixer as Drew explained, works great.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:44 AM

That's pretty clever guys.

@Drew
when you talk about the optical out of a Mac... I would think it's from a Mac Pro tower? Would this be doable with a Macbook pro? What are my options?

@MADIIrouting
Did you notice a sound quality difference when moving from MOTU 828 to OMNI? If so, was it a big difference?

I'd love to hear anyone's feedback on the sound quality.

thanks
Old 01-07-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
@Drew
when you talk about the optical out of a Mac... I would think it's from a Mac Pro tower? Would this be doable with a Macbook pro? What are my options?
All MacBooks have a combination analog/digital output on them. You'll just need one of these:

http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/...ne-out-adapter

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
That's pretty clever guys.

@Drew

@MADIIrouting

Did you notice a sound quality difference when moving from MOTU 828 to OMNI? If so, was it a big difference?

I'd love to hear anyone's feedback on the sound quality.

thanks

At the time is wasn't a WOW thing. However, I have improved the treatment in my room since and also upgraded monitors.

Hands down the routing and hardware control with HD is easier than the MOTU.

I would put it this way...knowing what I know and hear, if someone offered me original cost .... I would not go back to the MOTU system and native.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Banned

since you do not seem as though you are extreamly fimilier with the omni and the way things work, you should know that the omni only has 4 analog ins 8 analog out but after monitor outs really its only 6 outs. inputs can be expanded to 8 if you use aes or optical in addition or exclusive.

i honestly would not recomend this for your system at all. yes it can be done but the routing would be tricky for a person unaware of the fact that omni cannot be directly hooked up to regular PT because by native I assume you dont mean HD native. but if you do get this, you are literly only $1400 away from having a HD Native rig if you buy the HDN card.

if you do have HDN upgrades in your plans then yes go for it and work around the hassle until you get your HDN card ( then things will get easier the way the are supposed to )
If you dont have plans for that, xna on the omnia
sorry was never very good at pig latin