Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2017, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Any Market for Old 78 Records?

Yes, that article you linked to above talked about the laser system. One drawback was that since you didn't have a needle "plowing" the dust and grime out of the grooves that it got worse over time.

I have gone through my first of 4 boxes. It had 9 records, all but 2 were double-sided. 3 were 10" the rest were 12". Mostly Waltz and Fox Trot music. Based on when one of the bands (The Happy Six) were active recording (1919-1923), I would guess that is about when these were purchased. That would make sense since my grandmother would have been in her early 20's at the time, having been born in 1897. Some of them have the price printed on the label ($1.25 US, $1.50 Canadian), which was quite a bit of money back then.

People must have had pretty good eyesight back then; some of the print on the labels was so small, I was taking off my glasses, using a flashlight, etc. to read all the information. I am documenting everything in a spreadsheet, which I will share with anyone who might be interested when I am done. I will probably only attempt 1 box per day so I don't go cross-eyed or blind.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:02 AM

Which brand's turntable do you have and how's the performance? I am thinking to purchase Rega Planar or Cambridge Alva TT. What do you recommend?
Old 01-07-2021, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamex View Post
Which brand's turntable do you have and how's the performance? I am thinking to purchase Rega Planar or Cambridge Alva TT. What do you recommend?
Hi. Welcome to the forum.
Are you kidding?
This thread is discussing 100 year old 78rpm records.
Besides, why do you ask this on a forum for Avid products and digital audio production?