Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2013, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Control|24 with Pro Tools 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael c View Post
Are you talking about Avid?
No ideascale
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
We did publish an End of Support Date of 12/31/2012 when we stopped selling Control|24 back in 2007, and there were dozens of Pro Tools updates that supported the Control|24 after we stopped selling it.

Your analogy would be more accurate if you said the maker of our car announced an upgrade to make it run on water, but the transmission in our model wasn't compatible. We then have a choice to continue running our car on gas, or we can upgrade our transmission (or buy a new car) to take advantage of the advances in technology.

We do understand that transitions are difficult, but we cannot continue to support everything indefinitely and still put out new products/upgrades. This challenge is not unique to Avid.

-jc
No offense Avid, but trying to convince us that the Ethernet protocol, the only piece of technology relevant in terms of compatibility in the Control 24, has somehow been reduced to obsolescence despite it's "now more relevant then ever" status in current technology is going to be a very, VERY tough sell. There is absolutely nothing that would hinder the performance of PT11 with the addition of functional Control 24 (or ProControl) drivers and MUCH that would be enhanced - including and especially a sense of customer loyalty.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artysan View Post
To DigiTechSupt: It is your analogy that is way off base and disingenuous. A better analogy might be if Porsche replaced a much-loved 2007 model 911 with one so terribly conceived that the market wanted nothing to do with it, and at the same time discontinued service and support for the much loved 2007 model. Such things rarely happen because good businesses have competitors, ethics, and so much to lose.
Be careful, you are going to have the Avid loyalist hounds (aka shareholders) chasing you if you dare critique anything they do...I have been complaining about the business ethics issue for upwards of a year now. I am glad that other people are now calling Avid out for their deliberate actions. They are like every other bureaucracy, slow, broad sweeping an inefficient...NOW WRITE THE GD DRIVERS PLEASE.

------------------------------------------------------
¨WHERE´S MY CHECKBOOK?¨
https://soundcloud.com/louieshowers
Old 08-01-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artysan View Post
Well if only it were that simple. I spend every day of my life with a Control24. I have spent quite a bit of time with the C24 as well. The ergonomic design of the C24 is simply intolerable, just awful, after the pleasure of the nearly perfect Control24. I'm sure many users have come to the same conclusion. When you design something great, you support it. To replace it with something so poorly done AND make the original obsolete is just plain stupid business practice. One only can hope this will catch up with Avid and teach them a lesson - at the sales level.
Funnily, that's what I always thought of the C24 [edit: meant C|24] when compared to the PC...

Darryl Ramm

Last edited by groundcontrol; 08-02-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder6oy View Post
No offense Avid, but trying to convince us that the Ethernet protocol, the only piece of technology relevant in terms of compatibility in the Control 24, has somehow been reduced to obsolescence despite it's "now more relevant then ever" status in current technology is going to be a very, VERY tough sell. There is absolutely nothing that would hinder the performance of PT11 with the addition of functional Control 24 (or ProControl) drivers and MUCH that would be enhanced - including and especially a sense of customer loyalty.
Where did you read that it's the Ethernet protocol that's become outdated?

It's the Control 24 and the Pro Control that have become outdated. At least in Avid's opinion.

At no point has Avid said that these units cannot work with Pro Tools 11.

But it requires updated drivers to make that happen. Drivers and the testing of those drivers costs resources (time and money) and Avid has devoted those resources elsewhere.

The best analogy I can come up with is computers. I still have a few Mac G5s being used at my place running HD3. These are non-Intel computers and very little new software will run on them. Is there anything about the computers that prevents companies from making software that still runs on them? Many companies were making software that ran on both for a while. Both PPC and Intel. Reaper still does it as does Dropbox. But most don't.

The more systems you support, the more it costs. So at some point, you have to drop some things. Where that point is, is debatable but not supporting older equipment is the norm when it requires resources.

Unfortunately, we're not going to "out logic" Avid into making the drivers.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:30 PM

we should all just get a fader pot and screw it.

It seems as though the average studio can no longer afford controllers like these. Now that it seems a minimum of a $1000 a year investment. Assuming price doesnt go up (it will) and HDX and HDN are current for 10 releases of PT ( which I have serious concerns about now)

if its 8 years that's like avid saying we want $120 every month for the use of a control surface.
Thats a car payment that never end.
So why don't they just lease them to us since we never really own them.

I feel so stupid for pre paying for HDX
I doubt I will ever buy a new avid product again.
I will still use Pro Tools but I think EBAY will get my money.
If I wait 4 months I could get HD11 for half price.
So maybe in 2014 oct/nov I will just get PT12 skip PT11 all together since Im still waiting on the plugin support from PT10
Old 08-01-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
It's the Control 24 and the Pro Control that have become outdated.
How? Where are the sterling new product enhancements that so outdo the capabilities of the Control 24 that are anywhere near a similar price range? What are we missing here?
Old 08-01-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder6oy View Post
How? Where are the sterling new product enhancements that so outdo the capabilities of the Control 24 that are anywhere near a similar price range? What are we missing here?
You're preaching to the choir here. I agree with you.

Maybe something new is coming. I don't know. But at some point, the product line gets too big to support.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie Hole Sound View Post
+1 - great post!
Many 15 year old digital Neves ARE EOL, with no spare parts, and requiring a five figure upgrade to get through the next decade.

I had a lovely hui controller by Radikal, but when 64bit Windows came out they refused to write a new driver, saying it was EOL.

It affects everyone with digital tech. A crying shame, but we wouldn't have all manner of niceties if say Apple had stayed on Motorola chips.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 08-01-2013, 02:14 PM

The issue is are Avid loyal to their long term customers?

Currently it seems NO, but that can change....

But clearly we need to keep up the pressure and make it clear that there will be no HDX upgrade from us HD guys, until we have the PT11 drivers.

Cheers Scotsman