Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 09-04-2013, 08:16 PM

Default Re: Control|24 and ProControl with Pro Tools 11?

Its to bad they wont give us the ability to use the things we worked so very hard to get.
I did intend to get a a newer C24 this year even if the control24 still worked just to stay curreent with future hardware upgrade offers.
But it does not seem I can afford the EOL issues.
I think I will just have to leave pro tools off this year and wait for the proper amount of working tools i need to move forward with my music.
Last year was a waist and this year seems a bust so maybe next year ill come back and see whats up.

I think I will take some time off to travel this year,
and see how this all works out, im not waisting another year waiting on nothing
Old 09-04-2013, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Control|24 with Pro Tools 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Music Belgium View Post
We do not know what the KH and NX stands for
KH are the older Pro Control and NX is later with an improved monitor section, Just FYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Music Belgium View Post
Let's make that $10 million in easy money to gain by Avid just by updating 2 personality files so they become compatible with PT 11, who decided this is not a good idea??
Nobody has said what it would cost to get this done but one would think it's a fraction of that.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Control|24 with Pro Tools 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwiz View Post
yes but it was eol last year:d
Excellent!
Old 09-05-2013, 12:53 PM

At least we won't spend money in new software! Thanks AVID!
Old 09-05-2013, 02:56 PM

Here is the answer we've been looking for....expect this to be in the 100's of thousands...not a prayer in hell I would spend a cent on buying another piece of planned obsolescence from Avid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8PQ1vcTaoI
Old 09-06-2013, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus44uk View Post
Here is the answer we've been looking for....expect this to be in the 100's of thousands...not a prayer in hell I would spend a cent on buying another piece of planned obsolescence from Avid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8PQ1vcTaoI
I wonder if the EOL on this is already set.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtarbutn View Post
I wonder if the EOL on this is already set.
I think the EOL date is on the sales receipt
correct me if im wrong though
Old 09-06-2013, 06:15 PM

Since Avid already have the source code for the ProControl & Control|24 surely the process of recompiling the code for 64-bit would be pretty straightforward, especially since Apple have already documented the process for developers and provide direct help.

Apple write about recompiling code to 64-bit:

https://developer.apple.com/library/...ndDrivers.html

Quote:
"As a driver developer, you must update your drivers with 64-bit binaries. The 64-bit kernel cannot load 32-bit kernel extensions. Fortunately, because the I/O Kit is a relatively modern environment with few legacy design constraints, most kernel extensions can be adapted fairly easily to 64-bit. Many drivers “just work” after changing the compile settings. However, there are a few steps you must take along the way."
Old 09-07-2013, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Graham View Post
Hello to our loyal Pro Mixing customers…
(...)
We would love to support all hardware forever, but the technology in these control surfaces is over 12 years old, and the time it would take to develop and thoroughly test firmware upgrades to meet current Pro Tools performance specifications would severely impact our ability to ship products and deliver the new feature innovations.
Dear Tom,

thanks for your aspect of this situation. To put it blunty: Your hardware design engineers just built the controller TOO well - they run, even from 1998 until now - like my pro control. There are just a few devices that do so long in the audio industry. However-...

If AVID cannot affort an adaption on the actual PT11 version - why don't you just open up the sources of the driver to the public. Like you said, it's a "12 years old technology" that you abandoned now. So why don't you make it open/public and we got a lot of users who would like to make it work again.

It's important to make the guys in the accountant department one thing clear: Not helping all the guys with the old (but still working) controllers will NOT generate a single dollar of new income in hardware controllers.

If you can't afford it to make the drivers work - make it free - of course with no support from AVID's side.

Thanks.

GnS

#### ICON DISCONTINUED - NOW COMES S6: http://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/t...6-at-ibc-2013/ ####
From the video seen above: it LOOKS really good - not like the ICON Toy appeal...
Old 09-07-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Graham View Post
Maybe another way to say this is: We would love to support all hardware forever, but that would cause our engineering and test effort to become so large we would eventually not be able to ship a product, or for that matter – innovate and create new Pro Mixing products based on the features and requests you have asked for.
Well bricking my controller is not a feature I asked for