Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-24-2007, 12:56 AM

Default Unused Audio Files NOT ERASING!!!

So I like to keep all my sessions nice and tidy by consolidating all the files and erasing all the unused files.
I've been doing this for years, and today I encountered an interesting problem.
On my file/region list, I only see the files that I'm using in my session since I erased unused files and even "compacted" the files.
However, when I go out of Pro Tools into my audio files folder for that session, I still see all the old audio files that I deleted in the session. Now, the problem is, when I manually erase these audio files in the directory, they somehow make the consolidated files go missing when I boot up the session.

Anybody have this problem? My session looks neat, but when I'm backing it up, it's like 2 Gigs, due to all the old files.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:49 AM

Default Re: Unused Audio Files NOT ERASING!!!

Sounds like you're only removing the files from the session not deleting them from disc. When using 'clear unused regions', there are 2 options 'remove' and below that 'delete'. Choose the latter to delete from your HD.

Note. If you edit an audio file, then PT creates a new region which is a sub-division of the original file. If you then remove the original from the region bin, subsequently, you can only remove (not delete) the sub-file using 'clear'.

Use 'consolidate region's as this creates new audio files and then you can safely remove unwanted files, manually if need be. Just make sure you don't delete any files used in the session.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:51 AM

Default Re: Unused Audio Files NOT ERASING!!!

You're lucky Dude. When I delete "unused" files, the "used" files get deleted as well(!?)

I haven't gotten back to test as yet, but I hope it's "operator error". That's easy to fix.
PT 2018; Nuendo 8.?; Studio One 3; former Sonar and Sequoia user .... GENELEC 1031A, AVANTONE MIX CUBES (Active); Sibelius 7.0; Dorico; Mac Mini 2.6 GHz Core i7, OS X 10.12.2 Sierra; 16GB RAM; 480 GB System SSD; 1 TB 7200 rpm Audio; 3 TB samples; Roland A-800 Pro controller; GOOD BYE PEE SEA!!