Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-05-1999, 08:34 PM

Default accidental erasure and Un erasing SD2 files

Just did the unthinkable and erased a couple of files by accident due to a little quirk in PT.

When I last saved I had the last file I had bounced to disc and finished with hi-lighted.

I closed the session downand then came back to it a couple of hours later.

when thesession open I saw the file hi-lighted and thought cool, delete that and move on to the next track I was mastering.

Command shift b, delete tracks, option click yes, and..... just accidently deleted everthing.
When PT opens it automatically selects everything in the take directory, why? ,I don't know.
You can have a file hi-lighted in the edit window but not just it's file or region hi-lighted in the take directory, there by leading to the possiblity of accidental erasure.

Is there a preference switch to make the take directory and edit window files lock together?

secondly I tried to unerase the files using nortons disc doctor and it couldn't find them. I've noticed this before.

What is it about SD2 files that Nortons nerase doesn't see. Howcome I can't unerase these files? I tried to get nortons to recognise the file type and search for that only but it bought up all these 68 k files that didn't have any info in them. Is the sound data stored in some sort of hidden resourc fork?

Can anyone shed some light on better setup proceedures to avoid accidental erasure, and give me some advice on how to best recall accidently erased files

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Rob
Old 12-06-1999, 07:19 AM

Default Re: accidental erasure and Un erasing SD2 files

Patient: Hey, Doc, everytime I hit delete, something gets deleted. What should I do?

Doctor: Don't hit delete.

The most elegant solution to your problem is to be aware of this quirk and be smarter than the computer: don't do that again.

I have never had success in unerasing files either.

Best of luck.
Old 12-07-1999, 12:10 AM

delphypop

advice on how to recall accidently erased files

Try Disk Warrior from Alsoft:
www.alsoft.com

Brad

[This message has been edited by Techsupt2 (edited 12-07-99).]

[This message has been edited by Techsupt2 (edited 12-07-99).]
Old 12-07-1999, 06:42 PM

I have also accidentally deleted audio files recently and could not retrieve them with Norton's. Did you find a way to recover them that worked?
Old 12-07-1999, 08:13 PM

thanks mrknewitallfor stating theobvious
I know how not to delete files but with the ever increasing time pressure to do things faster mistakes happen and it would be cool if things worked so that you don't have setups defaulting to possibly dangerous situations.

my suggestion for a way around this is
1) don't have PT default to select all on start up. Why does it do this anyway?

2) have it so that PT edit window and the take dirctory selection are locked together, there by removing the possiblity of thinking you have one thing selected for deletion and actually having a whole bunch of other items.

Thanks for the advice on disc worrior brad. Do you have any idea on why the files don't show up with nortons?

Cheers

Rob
Old 12-07-1999, 08:18 PM

diskq warrior is $69.95
It would becool if it was possible to do what I want with the software I have.
I'd like to know if and how it's possible to retrive files with nortons
Old 12-09-1999, 09:14 PM

tech support - any insight into sd2 files and how to make them recoverable?
Old 12-10-1999, 04:00 PM

GREAT GREAT tip from sb froom digi - I've got it from DUC, and the same day I had to check it. If you're in trouble, try it: If you ereaed sth, do nothing! Create a session, put track (or tracks, remember 2GB per track space limit) in record mode, start recording and IMMIDIATELY switch off your rig! You'll get one (or more) files , which occupy whole drive. Import them to the session and listen to them (I know it takes some time, in my case 2 hours) and all your audio will be there - fragmented, of course. But it WORKS! (I know it is not elegant solution).
Przemek.
Old 12-10-1999, 05:30 PM

Wow interesting idea. I've heard of that happening but never used it as a recovery tool. Very cool.

BTW - There is a preference to link your bin and timeline selections. Look under prefs/editing/track selection follows region list and regions list follows track selection.