Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-11-2011, 04:01 PM

Cool PCIx in PCI slots

Hey guys!

Doing an upgrade on a PCIx based HD3 system. Time for a new comp. I'm building a hackintosh... before the flaming begins, let me state that I have built 6 hackintoshes running 10.6.5 on LE and 9 systems (including mine running 10.6.6) so lets avoid that topic, unless you have questions.

My question is regarding PCIx cards in PCI slots. I have read mixed things on these forums and want to put the topic to rest.

As far as I understand, putting PCIx cards into PCI slots is possible and decreases the bandwidth from 133 to 33. This is not an issue on systems that use HD3+. A very very marginal difference is seen on these systems, and well worth the upgrade to the computer and expanded use of RTAS plugins due to faster CPU and RAM.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The plan is as follows.
GIGABYTE GA-H67A-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel H67
Intel Core i7-2600K (can be changed to something less hefty if mobo cant OC anyways
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 850w
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
EVGA GeForce GT 240 1GB

That gigabyte mobo is the only current motherboard I can find with 3 PCI slots. I will be attempting a SandyBridge Hack (no small fete), but its been done.

I know skimping is a bad idea when it comes to comps, but I really want to avoid shelling out 3k for a silent Magma Chassis.

So to simplify, my question is is there anyone running PCIx cards in PCI slots. What is your experience with it? Any degradation in DSP or TDM functionality? Thanks in advance guys!
Old 03-11-2011, 04:03 PM

Default Re: PCIx in PCI slots

O, and feel free to ask any questions about hacks, I'm pretty well versed.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:56 PM

Actually, Digi never made PCIx cards. Just PCI (which work just the same in a PCIx slot)... So put those suckers in and start making some music!!

peace

Rob Burrell
aka mixboy

PTHD Ultimate/Eucon (latest betas) / Mac Studio Ultra 128GB RAM / Aja T-Tap / Sonnet M.2 4x4 PCIe 8TB / Focusrite 16Line / MTRX Studio / UAD Octo / 32 channel S1 & Dock (5) 2019 Fire HD 10 / Dolby Atmos 9.1.4 /Mastering Suite / 13.0 Sony 360RA
Old 03-11-2011, 09:52 PM

shouldn't you take this to the PC forum
why the Mac forum when it's a really a windows machine and you'll probably get better results over there

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear