Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 05-26-2003, 10:47 PM

Default Proteus expansion / MIDI interface questions

Hi all,

I have a few questions regarding various pieces and any recommendations/testimonials you might want to share, as an advice for someone about to spend some money…. Here we go:

1. I have a Proteus 2000 at this point with the factory presets on the main module. I want to add (possibly 3) more expansion modules. I was wondering if anyone could advice what might be the best configuration. I understand that ultimately it’s up to me to decide what kind of sounds I am looking for, but it also appears that many expansion modules that EMU sells have duplicate sounds/presets (am I right or wrong about this?) – so I guess what I am trying to avoid is buying modules that will have the same material on them. (Like for example how much of an overlap is there between Orchestral Sessions 1&2 and the Siedlaczek Orchestra module etc.)

2. Another Proteus related question: I was considering upgrading to Proteus 2500 (from 2000) – is that a wise move? Or should I spend my money on loading the P2K with the additional expansion modules?… I mean what are some key pros and cons of 2500?

3. What are your recommendations for a good MIDI interface that would work well with ProTools LE Digi-001 on a G4 Mac? I am looking at MidiMan MIDIsport 8x8 OR Edirol UM-880 8x8. Or perhaps there is some unit that I do not know that has worked well for those with similar setup?

I am on a Mac G4
Max/MSP, ProTools Digi 001
Proteus 2000
+ Misc. outboard gear

Thanx for all your help,
p.

P.S.
Can’t tell you how many times I have returned to this forum for answers to various questions – always found answers! This is an invaluable resource! Thank you all.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:39 PM

Default Re: Proteus expansion / MIDI interface questions

I have use the MT4 and currently use a MidiI/O.

The MT4 was OK but not large enough for my needs.
The MidiI/O is also USB but does loose comunication with PT and when it does... ALL the midi assignments are blown away.

I hate that. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2003, 07:28 AM

Kev,
Do you know if the USB interfaces must be connected to a primary USB port, or would plugging them into a HUB be ok? This was something I was wondering about, but no one so far could give me a straight answer...
p.
Old 05-27-2003, 01:09 PM

As far as I know,
using a properly spec'd USB hub can give even better performance than straight into the Mac.

I don't currently have on. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I think that a very new USB 2.0 hub with power supply will probably give good performance. In the recient past people talked of Audio USB hubs but I think a new USB 2.0 can do all the same things.

Warning.
OMS and PT reacts to my Midi-I/O in a different way depending on whether it is powered by USB or by an external power pack.
A whole new OMS set-up was required and again ALL the midi assignments in PT session were blown away. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2003, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kev:
A whole new OMS set-up was required and again ALL the midi assignments in PT session were blown away. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I so feel your pain on that one.

What's with that complete loss of MIDI assignments? Digidesign should do something about it.

Oh yeah, they have PT6.

Or have they? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Phil
Old 05-27-2003, 08:05 PM

So when I do get that MIDI patcher, and re-wire my setup I will also wipe out all specific MIDI assignments in all older PT files that used the previous connections?... I can see how that can be rather disconcerning... And there probably isn't any good way to prepare for this (as in pre-emptive measures to avoid or lessen the damage), right?
But I guess in a long run: the sooner I make the switch to a more accomodating setup - the fewer lost files I will be crying over after. but my post was largely to find out what IS the most reliable unit out there - so that I can find some consolation in the fact that I am making this painful transition now, but can look forward to some stability later... (frankly i am laughing at myself typing this, because it starts to sound like some kind of convoluted Pentagon briefing assuring us of the problem-free future...) but anyway:
Thanx for the warning... I am bracing myself already - although still am not sure what unit to buy... perhaps (MOTU) MIDIExpress XT?
p.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:14 PM

We have gone back to a written method of tracking songs and midi units and their patch data.

You could use the comments section on each track to list the Midi unit and the patch number.

I wish Digi would do something about this and also the I/O page and assignments.
Even the comments section on each track could be so much better. It might be nice to have a session TXT print out of stuff like this and tracks sheets etc.