Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2003, 04:12 AM

Default tiny interface needs

Hi. With PT6 and a DX-7 as my only external MIDI device, what small interface will work best. I would also like to be prepared for some guest midi. All of my midi instruments will be virtual. I am a composer who is using midi mainly to generate parts for musicians and scores. My old setup was a Yamaha MU-10 expander with a built in interface and a small midi keyboard, a friend of mine just gave me his old DX-7. I use Logic for creating, editing and printing scores but I want to be able to use the interface with PT6 also. Will there be an upgrade of the MIDI I/O to USB2.0 ? Mt needs are small but I surely will need something reliable. thanks
Old 05-17-2003, 08:23 AM

Default Re: tiny interface needs

Damn, I said thanks. I just need a few hints.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:22 PM

Digi001 has a midi port.

Roland have a number of small midi ports no larger than a Y cord.

The MIDI-I/O will have time stamping in the future. If the unit is not already USB2.0 does it matter if there is no upgrade in the future ?

I must admit that the MIDI-I/O does react to a DX7 in away that none of my other synths do. Active sensing ?? The MIDI-I/O is constantly blinking on that channel.

Try an MT4. 2 ins and 4 outs and USB .... and cheap.
Old 05-24-2003, 06:51 AM

Thanks for the hints Kev.. I'll check out the site for the MT4, it's by opcode?. As for the MIDI I/O and the DX-7, does it work anyway, even if it's blinking? I'm asking because I don't want a problem when I make the switch. The DX-7 has a nicer feel on the keyboard, but I'll go back to my little cheapo in a heartbeat to keep it simple.
My DX-7 has the microtuning capability, thus, writing for brass instruments I can have the samples play in "just" harmonies and not tempered harmonies or I can write for "arabic", "hindu" or quarter tone scales and have them sound close to what an experienced musician can do (although I've never figured out how to make parts for this), I usually write it straight or make extra marks next to the important differences and then sing it or play guitar for the musician and make poetry about angels fighting demons and so-forth. I have to admit that I never understood how this works from a technical standpoint, do the midi notes get sent with pitch change data or is a new pitch adopted as a reference? For just harmonies and scales with non tempered pitches I can understand the pitch change deal, but for a quarter tone scale there are 24(-1) notes, I'm always writing these by hand. Basic key with plus or minus signs next to the closest diatonic or chromatic equivalent.
This is why I would like to use the DX-7, maybe theres a better way. I remember that Cubase had tons of tunings but I've never found them in Logic, I still have version 3.5..
And, since I'm here in Italy I've been tuning to A=442 for all fixed pitch instruments and orchestral tuning and the DX-7 does this from the utility functions.
If not the DX-7, is there a keyboard controller that is also a midi interface that will work with protools? 2 birds and a stone theory. Thanks again.
Old 05-24-2003, 07:53 AM

The MT4 is made by Emagic and works well
Old 05-24-2003, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rojo:
I'll check out the site for the MT4, it's by opcode?.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi rojo,

No, it's Emagic.

Quote:
As for the MIDI I/O and the DX-7, does it work anyway, even if it's blinking? I'm asking because I don't want a problem when I make the switch.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, sounds like Active Sensing to me. The synth is simply telling the MIDI interface, "I'm still connected!". My AN1x and K5000S do the same. It doesn't affect the ability to convey MIDI messages at all.

Quote:
The DX-7 has a nicer feel on the keyboard, but I'll go back to my little cheapo in a heartbeat to keep it simple.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What's the maximum velocity on the DX-7? The MIDI spec is 127 (ie. a range from 0-127), however, if I recall, the DX-7 is capped at about 106 or 108.

While this velocity limitation won't create problems playing the DX-7 patches, I woudn't like to use it as a master controller for a MIDI studio. Many synths feature patches that utilise velocity triggered filter envelopes, meaning the harder you play, the brighter the sound, and therefore may have a dull response when triggered by the DX-7.

Quote:

My DX-7 has the microtuning capability, thus, writing for brass instruments I can have the samples play in "just" harmonies and not tempered harmonies or I can write for "arabic", "hindu" or quarter tone scales and have them sound close to what an experienced musician can do.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Nice one. I really must venture into alternative tunings and scales, if only to hear how nice pure chords can sound.

By the way, the DX-7 doesn't playback samples (ie. short snippets of recorded audio), rather it generates the sounds from scratch through a synthesis concept known as Frequency Modulation.

Quote:
I have to admit that I never understood how this works from a technical standpoint, do the midi notes get sent with pitch change data or is a new pitch adopted as a reference?

I remember that Cubase had tons of tunings but I've never found them in Logic, I still have version 3.5..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Good question. If you transpose or edit the tuning of a synth, then that typically affects only its playback engine. The MIDI leaving the synth is unchanged. This makes most synths poor master controllers because they can't access notes on other gear that are out of the keyboard's physical range.

With regards to sequencer transposing, then it simply transmits the appropriate MIDI note, however I'm not sure how micro-tuning is handled (and something Pro Tools doesn't offer). Perhaps it follows the same system used for 'pitch bend', because system exclusive would be device specific.

Quote:
If not the DX-7, is there a keyboard controller that is also a midi interface that will work with protools? 2 birds and a stone theory.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">For sure. Try Midiman (M-Audio), Edirol/Roland, Evolution, to name a few. They connect to the computer's USB port. Most function as a MIDI interface for the controller itself, however I think there's a Midiman model that features a MIDI Out to allow the sequencer trigger other devices in the studio.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Phil
Old 05-24-2003, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by accession:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by rojo:
The DX-7 has a nicer feel on the keyboard, but I'll go back to my little cheapo in a heartbeat to keep it simple.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What's the maximum velocity on the DX-7? The MIDI spec is 127 (ie. a range from 0-127), however, if I recall, the DX-7 is capped at about 106 or 108. <hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Just trying to confirm the exact velocity limit. Some say 100, others say as low as 96 (that'd be even worse!).

Anyone know the exact figure? Kev maybe?

Phil
Old 05-24-2003, 08:25 PM

Further research into the DX7's suitability as a master controller has uncovered the lack of a "Local Off" function.

Without it, one must mute or turn down its output when using its keyboard to trigger other instruments in the studio without the DX7 playing along in unison.

Have I convinced you that there are better 'master contrrollers' out there? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Phil
Old 05-26-2003, 01:15 PM

I do know of the DX7 issues. At the time many techs were doing mods that covered most of them.

I ... however ... actually grabbed a DX7-S. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
and a TX7 to go with it. It is still alive and well and my master controller. I am interested in a Knob box but haven't seen one I like yet. I may have to make one.

My second room has a cheap Akai 62 key controller.... and I think I'm about to add a KorgMICRO.

All other units are modules ... oh! except for an Alpha Juno 2.
This thing has Keys that don't work. I don't think I'll get them fixed again. I think we have had it fixed 3 times and the keys just keep failing.