Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2003, 09:08 AM

Default flat frequency response

why is it important to have monitors with flat frequency response when mixing? do all consumer stereos typically have the same adjusted frequency response?
Old 03-10-2003, 09:28 AM

Default Re: flat frequency response

wow, that's an heavy topic!
I'm not sure some monitors with flat response EXIST! Especially those active-small-but-powerful-bass-reflex- proximity speakers.
Basically, the problem may not be the flat response but to be able to hear ALL frequencies, especially low-ends. This is not possible with hi-fi speakers. I can tell you: I've been trying for 2 years (love that!).
Well, if you mix on an hi-fi system, your music will be perfect for a...hi-fi system but may sound awful on a big one (the reverse is not true...of course). That may be a statement and a way to work. You decide.
What I do is mixing on my hi-fi system and monitor from time to time (in fact when an occasion occurs) on big systems. This way, I avoid the worst! 'til I can afford a NHT system.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:22 PM

From my experience, if you mix on flat response monitors and it sounds OK - then it SHOULD translate to most other loudspeakers - most of which will not have a flat response, but each in a different way........

For example NS10s peak in the upper mid, vented type speakers can have a hyped bass response, radio speakers can have no very high frequencies and no real bass etc....

The important thing is to refer to other music that you know while you're mixing. This should make any glaring errors in the spectral balance easier to hear and correct.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:35 PM

Also - there is SO much more to monitor speakers than just a flat frequency response...........
Old 03-10-2003, 04:45 PM

...not to mention the monitoring enviroment.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lowfreq:
...not to mention the monitoring enviroment.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Amen, if your room has standing waves or a certain frequency characteristic you have to compensate for that.

When I mix afterward I burn a CD and try to listen to it in 5 different environments: computer speakers, car, boombox, home stereo and a boombox outside (believe me it makes a difference).

Time flies like the wind;
Fruit flies like bananas.
~ Groucho Marx
Old 03-10-2003, 10:25 PM

thanks for the input. right now i mix on my studio monitors and double check to make sure i am getting enough low end on my home stereo. i also use monitor headphones as another quick means of comparison, and when i'm done i check the sound on a bunch of different stereos.