Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 07-05-2016, 11:03 AM

Default Plugins Not Visible

Hi all, and again thanks for a great forum.

Recently I couldn't find my Input of Plugins in the drop down menu. Then I noticed if I scrolled my curser up and down in the menu box that they would appear. But I still can't see the whole list as clearly as I used to. There is some glitch, but I'm not sure what it is.

Is this something that other users have experienced? I thought about doing a clean re-install, which sometimes fixes issues like this, but it may be something simple I can do first.

Can someone clue me in on what's going on here? Thanks in advance.

JGP
Old 07-05-2016, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Plugins Not Visible

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGotPaid View Post
Hi all, and again thanks for a great forum.

Recently I couldn't find my Input of Plugins in the drop down menu. Then I noticed if I scrolled my curser up and down in the menu box that they would appear. But I still can't see the whole list as clearly as I used to. There is some glitch, but I'm not sure what it is.

Is this something that other users have experienced? I thought about doing a clean re-install, which sometimes fixes issues like this, but it may be something simple I can do first.

Can someone clue me in on what's going on here? Thanks in advance.

JGP
Likely a known problem from using an version of Pro Tools on an unsupported . OS. Well discussed on DUC.

Your profile says Snow Leopard, is that correct? This symptom is likely with El Capitan. What exact version of Pro Tools are you running on what exact OS X version? If you are really on Snow Leopard start by trashing prefs.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:33 AM

Thank you Darryl.

I'm not at the computer right now, but I'm running PT 10 and I believe I did upgrade to El Capitan a few months ago.

If this is a known problem that has been discussed a lot here, hopefully there is a "fix" that won't require re-installing PT or anything else.

As much as I like running PT on a MacBook Pro, or any Apple, there are times when I wish I could find a good Windows laptop that would run PT as well as Apple does. I only do PT with an Apple, and therefore I don't keep on top of everything in the Apple world as I do with Windows.

What would you suggest I do first? Or is there a specific thread that you could refer me to?

Thank you very much for your help.

JGP
Old 07-05-2016, 11:34 AM

Start here.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=54888

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
If this is a known problem that has been discussed a lot here, hopefully there is a "fix" that won't require re-installing PT or anything else.

As much as I like running PT on a MacBook Pro, or any Apple, there are times when I wish I could find a good Windows laptop that would run PT as well as Apple does. I only do PT with an Apple, and therefore I don't keep on top of everything in the Apple world as I do with Windows.

What would you suggest I do first? Or is there a specific thread that you could refer me to?
It's a known problem and there are other issues as well. Pro Tools 10 is not supported on El Capitan, and Avid is not going to fix these issues. You can upgrade Pro Tools or roll back to an older OS X release. I hope you made a back-up before upgrading. El Capitan has enough issues that most folks should just not be upgrading to it at all.

Windows laptops are more of a crap-shoot than MacBook Pros, and I'd just go with a MacBook Pro. OTOH a custom build Windows PC is much appealing to me than say a overpriced and crippled Mac Pro.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:24 PM

That's quite a list. May take a while to whittle down to the exact specific info I need. There are so many fixes for so many things, I don't want to fix something that unfixes something else.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:21 PM

Sounds like El Capitan is not what I should have.

One other thing I have noticed, is that I am getting pops when recording, and I hear them in the playback on recent recordings, and also on older recordings that I did in Nashville and I know absolutely that those were not recorded with pops. Could El Capitan be doing that too?
Old 07-05-2016, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Sounds like El Capitan is not what I should have.

One other thing I have noticed, is that I am getting pops when recording, and I hear them in the playback on recent recordings, and also on older recordings that I did in Nashville and I know absolutely that those were not recorded with pops. Could El Capitan be doing that too?
Who knows.... You need to do standard troubleshooting and optimization for any problems like that ... after you get of El Crapitan. And that problem is likely either an interface clocking problem or an IO buffer related problem. First thing then is to make sure "ignore errors" is not checked in the playback engine dialog and increase the IO buffer size to see if you can make the problem goes away and/or you get AAE errors that help point at known issues, or plugins etc..
Old 07-05-2016, 11:24 PM

I have an engineer friend in Nashville who was a certified Apple tech for years and runs a Pro Tools studio on Music Row. This sounds like a job for him.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I have an engineer friend in Nashville who was a certified Apple tech for years and runs a Pro Tools studio on Music Row. This sounds like a job for him.
He's not going to tell you anything different than you've already been told here. Face it - you screwed up by not paying attention to compatibility.

QAPLA!