Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 12-19-2014, 04:03 PM

Default A bit concerned about 'vintage' Venue

So I think the new 4.5 software for the S3LX kicks butt. I like the S3LX. But for bigshows we use the SC48 and D-Show. I'm concerned that there doesn't seem to be any upgrading of their software. Does this mean something new is coming out? (Possibly along the lines of the S6) ? I really hope the bigger consoles have not been forgotten......
8 gig ram
FW Drives (Multiple)
eSATA Drives (Multiple)

[email protected]
Old 12-20-2014, 09:20 AM

Default Re: A bit concerned about 'vintage' Venue

Keep in mind that the S3L is a totally different architecture than the Venue series, and many of the software updates you see on S3L aren't going to be possible in the Venue line.

Though its been many more years than I would have liked, it seems likely and perhaps inevitable that there will be a new flagship desk at some point, and its likely that it will share a great deal with the S3L.

In the meantime, regarding Venue systems, I wouldn't expect any dramatic software upgrades, but there should be support and minor updates for a long time to come. There are very, very many of these desks out there and in many parts of the world, they are the most popular console on the market. Even if an S6L hits the market tomorrow, you'll still be seeing Venue's for another 20 years, so I wouldn't worry about obsolescence. The reality is that even when a new exciting desk becomes available, it doesn't negate the usefulness of the older desks. Think of how many Yamaha 4K's are still in service.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Lind View Post
Even if an S6L hits the market tomorrow, you'll still be seeing Venue's for another 20 years, so I wouldn't worry about obsolescence. The reality is that even when a new exciting desk becomes available, it doesn't negate the usefulness of the older desks. Think of how many Yamaha 4K's are still in service.
I don't totally disagree with your point, however I haven't seen a tour carrying a 4K in probably three or four years. Midas, ATI, and even a Ramsa analog twice. But not a 4K.

As an owner of two Avid Venue consoles, I am awaiting an announcement of what is coming next to replace that line. In my opinion, Avid has missed two purchasing cycles in which I have gone to a different manufacturer due to the age of the product line.

In some ways I appreciate Avid not releasing a desk each year to give us the chance to recoup on our investment. On the other hand, for me, not knowing what's next and the age of the SC48/Profile have me hesitate in buying additional Avid consoles until it is clarified. Sorry, send me a personal message if you know the make/model/time/date of the future... !)

Jason
Old 12-24-2014, 02:26 AM

There is also the point that the S3L has a lot of nice stuff in it's software that doesn't work on the Venues. And they don't seem to be doing anything about that.....Makes one wonder....
8 gig ram
FW Drives (Multiple)
eSATA Drives (Multiple)

[email protected]
Old 12-24-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceK View Post
There is also the point that the S3L has a lot of nice stuff in it's software that doesn't work on the Venues. And they don't seem to be doing anything about that.....Makes one wonder....
Well, again, the console architecture is totally different with the S3L, so many of it's new features will be incompatible on the older series. Different DSP, different bussing structure, etc.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterka View Post
I don't totally disagree with your point, however I haven't seen a tour carrying a 4K in probably three or four years. Midas, ATI, and even a Ramsa analog twice. But not a 4K.

As an owner of two Avid Venue consoles, I am awaiting an announcement of what is coming next to replace that line. In my opinion, Avid has missed two purchasing cycles in which I have gone to a different manufacturer due to the age of the product line.

In some ways I appreciate Avid not releasing a desk each year to give us the chance to recoup on our investment. On the other hand, for me, not knowing what's next and the age of the SC48/Profile have me hesitate in buying additional Avid consoles until it is clarified. Sorry, send me a personal message if you know the make/model/time/date of the future... !)

Jason
I couldn't agree more and I too anxiously await any new developments.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:43 PM

FYI some may have missed that D-Show surfaces got EOL'ed. http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...-support-dates
Old 01-01-2015, 08:17 PM

Very interesting.....and scary!
Old 01-01-2015, 11:51 PM

Interesting indeed.