Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2011, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Loudness Links repository

Thank you very much, Postman!!
Old 03-20-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
Gating will only partially solve the problem. The real problem, if I may be so bold, is that our perception of volume is apparently not linear with power measurements. We need a better method. No, I don't know what that is. Yes, someone else should chime in on this thread.
That way of measuring loudness took years of testing to find, and can probably be improved by much more testing and observations, so why not join the fray and contribute to the next spec update.

I'm really hoping -23 LUFS, -1dBTP will come to my part of the world. That is way better than what we have right now here, or you've likely ever had. We're a -9 dB ceiling spec limiter-slam TV landscape over here in Germany. At least I hope few others are subjected to the specs we have here.

@Nuclear - Thanks for collecting those links. I'll pass this on to everyone I know.

-edit-

PPMulator v3 will have R128 metering as well. Expected release is in Q2 2011
http://products.zplane.de/index.php?...t01returnid=61
Old 03-21-2011, 03:39 AM

I just got the news that Dolby Media Meter V2.1.16 now includes full EBU Mode measurement according to R128!
The manual also states EBU mode in the LM-100 and DP600 hardware.
Cheers
Old 03-21-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
That way of measuring loudness took years of testing to find, and can probably be improved by much more testing and observations, so why not join the fray and contribute to the next spec update. I'm really hoping -23 LUFS, -1dBTP will come to my part of the world. That is way better than what we have right now here, or you've likely ever had.
I did not intend to insult you or anyone else. Everything I said is truthful and comes directly from my experiences.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
I did not intend to insult you or anyone else. Everything I said is truthful and comes directly from my experiences.
That's why I think you should contribute to the group that works this stuff out. The room for improvement is always there. If you have sample files that make the loudness measurement fail horribly then that could lead to improvements.

Btw, does anyone how much the Dolby Meter plugin costs ? I'm comparing NuGen, PPmulator and now this. PPMulator 3(Q2 2011) will have a batch offline scanner, which I'm heavily in favour of. NuGen may get some offline scanner as well, though I could probably live with an Audiosuite plugin as well and then just use a limiter if the file needs gain boosts.

For impatient folks I made a small batch file that calls the r128 scanner available here : http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0035293/libebur128.html . No Mac version yet, though adventerous types can compile it themselves. It's purely a commandline tool but you need quite a few libraries to get some of the executables. There are multiple versions that use the different libraries. Take a look at one of the executable archives to see what I mean.
Code:
@echo off
"path to executable\r128-ffmpeg.exe" %1
pause
Save the above to a name_of_batch_file.bat file on the Desktop for example. For single audio files that just displays the LUFS value of the file you droppped on it, but you can scan for true peak values and loudness range as well. Pretty cool.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:19 AM

Here's a nice video, a loudness webinar.

http://tech.ebu.ch/events/webinar_lo...e/off?id=13224
Old 03-23-2011, 02:53 AM

Yes, that webminar is worth every minute. It should be noted though that some details are not up to date, for example the -8 dB relative gate has become -10 dB, and the fact that ITU has approved this, means that LKFS and LUFS are becoming the same.
Airon, I'm aware that Nugen is developing a standalone batch processor but in the meantime you always can run VisLM from the audiosuite menu and get a faster than realtime LUFS reading. There's also LevelOne from Grimm audio which is very handy for batch processing.
Cheers
Old 03-24-2011, 11:20 PM

Thanks for the headsup on the gate and ITU approvement.

I'll run the Nugen demo and compare readings between software. If they match, I've always got a backup solution with the commandline tools.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:09 AM

Soooooooooooo...

...I am just about to start a new longform series for NatGeo (20 x 1hr eps), with -23 LFKS (+/-1) specs (previous series I have mixed to lm100 -27).

Are things gonna change drastically for me, or it just a matter of different day, different meter....

I will be testing soon when I can get in a free room, but just wanted to ask how these changes were affecting people with regards to longform programing?
Old 03-28-2011, 05:27 PM

@ wheresmyfroggy.

Differnt dayg different meter (reading) I use the DMM for leq a and for lkfs. I adjust my my final mixdown with VCAs. Loudness rules are useless unless used across the board. I would like to back up postman on faulty meter readings with this example - I did a -24 piece for fox that was wall to wall singing and music for 2 minutes. Because of the overall loudness and continued full audio signal I had to bring it down and when it aired it was 3 db too quiet even tho it matched the magic lkfs number. I have noroblem using these meters or meeting specs but they are faulty.