Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2003, 01:17 PM

Default Fixing MIDI

I just got a project to mix where most of the keyboard stuff they only recorded the MIDI info so we could choose the sounds later. The problem is that they did not record to a MIDI click so the information is kin of free form and I want to either use Beat Detective or lay down measures manually so that I can add some loops. The problem is that everytime I start to do that it shifts the MIDI info that's there now to match the new tempos.

Any thoughts on how I can add measure marks and not have all the existing data shift?

Time flies like the wind;
Fruit flies like bananas.
~ Groucho Marx
Old 10-23-2003, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Fixing MIDI

My suggestions: first you need to find the tempo that the midi stuff was recorded to. one way to do this is to record a midi click, solo all midi tracks, then manually adjust the tempo until it sounds right AND the bars and beats match. Then using the click to identify beat one, Copy the entire midi performance (in grid mode). Now go to the beginning of the song and paste the entire midi selection. Now the midi notes should play back fine and you can effectively change the tempo and the midi notes will stay in time. Hope this makes sense to you!
Old 10-24-2003, 06:34 AM

Chris,

I've got a similar question posted on the MIDI board with no responses.
Here's my ideas so far:

option 1) Export MIDI, open in Digital Performer, use Record Beats function. Export new MIDI and import into original ProTools session (I have not tested this yet, but it scares me. It sounds like a nightmare to keep in sync)

option 2) record your MIDI output as an audio track (I built an MIDI to XLR adapter) I know this is so wrong on so many counts, but stay with me. Mute all other MIDI signals to reduce the amount of traffic. Then, while listening to some audio track (i.e. drums) use Identify Beats to make a tempo map. (Your new MIDI-as-Audio file will stay in sync with all other audio files) Once your tempo map is complete, connect the output of your MIDI-as-Audio track to your MIDI interface IN. Record a new MIDI track, which will be aligned to the tempo map. Breaks so many rules, but works.

Good luck,

Jeff
Old 11-04-2003, 06:07 AM

...to continue...

I tried both options. Exported MIDI. Imported MIDI and a few audio tracks in Digital Performer. Used Record Beats function. It was, quite honestly, a PITA. You need to tap along with the audio on a MIDI keyboard to input the beats. If you mess up (as I did), you need to undo and start over. There was not way that I could see to edit the tempo map.

Option 2 worked like a charm. Once I turned the MIDI into and audio file, I used a combination of Identify Beats (manual) and Beat Detective (automatic) to make a tempo map. Once I was happy, I captured a new MIDI track by playing the MIDI-as-Audio track into my MIDI interface.

It is a beautiful thing.

-JF
Old 11-04-2003, 02:47 PM

Recording the midi as audio is a cool idea. I had always done the same thing by recording the midi out to a 2nd sequencer locked to PT; either in the same or a second computer. Then make beat map w id beat and/or beat detective and then record the midi tracks back into PT.