Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-28-2012, 02:25 AM

Default Running multiple versions of Pro Tools

Hi all

The question: Has anyone had any experience of running different Pro Tools versions side by side on the same Windows OS?

I'm finally upgrading my DAW to Pro Tools 10 from 7.4 M-powered. The main reason is that I'm going on tour and don't want to drag my Firewire 410 around with me.

But the last time I upgraded I had a nightmare with my existing sessions as so many plug-ins failed to work on the new version, I spent weeks trying to get back to where I was before the upgrade.

So I was thinking that I'd love to be able to install Pro Tools 10 alongside my existing installation of 7.4 (I have bought a new license, not an upgrade after all).

I'd rather not dual boot my operating system. Last time I tried that I couldn't get all the right drivers for my laptop - Dell were just expecting their users to use the system restore CD to reinstall the OS (not to install a new one)

So I was just wondering if anyone had tried this kind of thing and if there were any tips to help me on my way? If not, I'd better get committing everything to disk while I wait for my PT10 DVD to arrive.

Thanks in advance.

Dicky