Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2015, 01:52 PM

Default Ilok Transfers blocked

How Come Pro Tools 12 licenses are not transferable to another ilok account?

what the logic behind that?
Old 06-19-2015, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Ilok Transfers blocked

So that IF/WHEN they decide to allow it in the future it will be announced as a 'cool new feature'?
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 06-19-2015, 03:24 PM

Or so they can stop the selling of second hand licenses.

You now either have the choice of paying $899 for a perpetual license with one year of free upgrades, and so much a year after that. I've forgotten the amount. $199 maybe.

Or pay the monthly rental fee. Is it like $29??!?

I really don't keep up much these days. I upgraded an old MP license to 12 and have upgrades until March of next year. After that I will keep whatever version is released at the time and never give avid another dime. If for some unknown reason I do need to use a newer version, it will probably be for short term and I'll just rent for a month.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:10 AM

In most cases, people have their PT12 license from upgrading, which means they have a support plan. I'm assuming that's your situation.

In the FAQ for Protools licensing it states that right now you can not sell a license that includes a support plan, but that they are working on the implementation of this. So at some point you'll be able to do it, but not right now.

So this is why your license can not be transferred.

The only PT12 licenses that can be transferred are those that came with a new hardware bundle, because they do NOT include the support plan.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
Or pay the monthly rental fee. Is it like $29??!?
You only get V.12 with the rental if you want v.10 or V.11 you have to buy it
Old 06-20-2015, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
In most cases, people have their PT12 license from upgrading, which means they have a support plan. I'm assuming that's your situation.

In the FAQ for Protools licensing it states that right now you can not sell a license that includes a support plan, but that they are working on the implementation of this. So at some point you'll be able to do it, but not right now.

So this is why your license can not be transferred.

The only PT12 licenses that can be transferred are those that came with a new hardware bundle, because they do NOT include the support plan.
so if I want to switch to Logic ir Cubase and sell off my Pro tools software I can't do it.
So If I manage a rental house and I need to send a system and want transfer a license I can't do it.
So If a run a multiroom/mutilcity operation and need to move a license I have package up an ilok and send it Fed-Ex - that make sense….
Old 06-21-2015, 02:55 AM

Rental houses do not transfer a license from their account to the renter's account, they rent an iLok with the license on it
You can sill move the license from one iLok to another as long as both licenses are tied to the same account, this is the way the big places work, tens to hundred of iLoks all tied to one account

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 06-21-2015, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
You only get V.12 with the rental if you want v.10 or V.11 you have to buy it

I already have a 10/11/12 license. So I'm good there. I was just saying if they do eventually release a new feature, after my support plan has lapsed, and for some reason I need to use it, I'll just rent PT instead of keeping my current license covered. At the rate they're sending out all these updates and new features my support plan will be long expired before something useful to me is added lol.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
Rental houses do not transfer a license from their account to the renter's account, they rent an iLok with the license on it
You can sill move the license from one iLok to another as long as both licenses are tied to the same account, this is the way the big places work, tens to hundred of iLoks all tied to one account
nice except this does not work for our company. It's great as long as your in the same city but when your on an another continent its get tricky Fed-Exing iloks around.