Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2006, 04:30 PM

Default Tell me why I should , or shouldn\'t get a C24

After many years of working on so many other systems, I am going to take the plunge for a Pro Tools set up ....I am also looking for a good mixer for Pro Tools , but don't have a huge expense account ...I've been looking and reading about the C24 and it seem's to be a viable board for my needs ... At this point I am looking for a board that is MADE for Pro Tools as I don't want to wonder what will , and what won't work with Pro Tools....Please give my your opinions on my choice ....Please also give me the good, the bad, and the ugly on this board ....I was considering an 002 setup, but I think I would be just wasteing my money as I really need the power of the full blown setup ... Thanks in advance .....Sincerely, Jim
Old 02-12-2006, 02:07 AM

Default Re: Tell me why I should , or shouldn\'t get a C24

First, IF Digi is still offering a trade in on control surfaces, I'd find a broken or old and cheap control surface and trade it in for the upgrade price, but I doubt that's still happening. I was lucky and traded in an old and broken 8 channel HUI two years ago and spent $5400 for a new C-24

If you are going into an HD system, it's really the best bang for the buck and it's a true Pro Tools mixer, complete with 16 with mic preamps and a bunch of faders. When it first came out, it had more to offer in many cases than their much more expensive Pro Control, although that's made a lot bette part-wise.. This board is professional acting and looking, and does most all the task you'd want it to do aside from some of the new plug-in automation that the ICON stuff can do, but this is much more applicable for the user with his/her own video monitor, and maybe need preamps. If you are on a budget, cand you don't have any mic preamps to speak of, you can't lose.

Pros for me:

-Tons o' faders thaat are ethernet controlled-super fast and easy to use
-Plug-in views, and controls
-flip functions for sends pans, I/O, you name it
-Just about every control on screen is on the board
-16 focusrite silver series mic preamps is you need some extra pres or don't have any pres as good as them...I use some but not all. They are OK if you don;t try to ride them too hot.
-Can be used as a sub mixer as well as a main
-several out put shoices and monitor output choices, all the 5.1 LCRS etc.
-Automation buttions make it way easy to automate ANYTHING!
-Multiple viewing options and preferences on board
-Grouping- preroll-disable/enable a cinch
-Recorrd enabling a cinch as well
-Best value for the dollar I'veeverseen-I also use a pro Control and I prefer this.Pro Controol is made beefier, but much more expensive w/no preamps
-Easy soloing and muting
-Don't wanna jinx myself but the newer ones are robust and reliable
-Easy learning curve but if you only use a few of the functions, it;s way better than not having one at all.
-easy to get a desk that fits it for cheap and looks fine
Cons:
None really although I wish that:
-Scribble stripswere aesier to read but can't complain for the price!
-Not necessarily a con but you need digi snakes/dsub connectors for hooking it up to I/O. Personally I don't mind but for those who don't want to spend extra money on connectivity, you have to make that change. Their not badly priced though.
-Older, used ones (mostly the original ones) power supply problems
Old 02-12-2006, 02:58 PM

Scott,
Thanks for your reply......A lot of good points ......Sincerely, Jim
Old 02-13-2006, 12:59 PM

Quote:
First, IF Digi is still offering a trade in on control surfaces, I'd find a broken or old and cheap control surface and trade it in for the upgrade price, but I doubt that's still happening. I was lucky and traded in an old and broken 8 channel HUI two years ago and spent $5400 for a new C-24

$5495.00, still listed on current (12/15/05) HD Hardware exchanges list (last page).

I'm "this close" to making the jump.

Jay
Old 02-24-2006, 12:25 AM

To both Jim and the gentleman waiting to get the C-24 on exchange...COOL! You're welcome!

Glad I could help! That trade in saved my ass. I would have had to spend $!000 to fix an 8 channel HUI with Midi control, and instead, I used that $1,000 to finance the C-24 for $5400 with ethernet super fast control and 16 extra preamps. So, it basically cost me nothing to get rid of the broken board. For the trade, I got a bunch of extra mic pres and super fast control with a ton of other options. Also, I know for a fact from talking to firends at Digi, that they are trying really hard to get the competition off the scene when it comes to control surfaces. Hence the trade in offer staying alive now for over a year...and this C-24 is the bomb! I still like it better than the Pro Control, and I work on one of those surfaces every week as well. The Pro Control IS built better, but the C-24 is no slouch at all!

Just for another example, I just got my Native Instrument B4 upgraded to the "B4 II" this week, and you can actually use the faders on the C-24 to operate the draw bars. AND, there are other automated features for it as well. I have just touched on them today. I discovered that you can use the pan knobs for other automation on the B4 II, and the B4 II sounds awesome, by the way. It's way better than the original. I gotta tell you, just for the draw bars, it was worth the trade. If that's a plug-in you have. It's just amazing to have this board for that too!