Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2011, 04:34 AM

Default Bouncing VI's in PT 10HD

I'm not sure if this is just a PT 10 issue as i think i've had problems in the past a lot with bouncing tracks and finding the audio "late"...

I've tried every possible scenario i can imagine, Delay comp on and off, bussing out the instrument track output and as a send with different buffer sizes etc..

Every way i try to bounce an audio copy of Trillian in PT i can never get it to bounce a lined up signal... the difference between options is quite noticeable and different in every scenario..

Isn't this is what delay comp is for? can anyone hint me how i can get truly phase aligned (so that if i do a phase reversal test it nulls) bounces of instruments and audio tracks.. i will be eternally grateful it's killing me...

This has piqued my interest so i did a null test using a second hd rig as an input machine and fed it the same signal from my first system to two input channel..

I found many plugins are totally out of whack and don't null properly even when bypassed..

Most notably bad ones are TC Electronic plugs, in particular MD3 sounds totally phasey whether in bypass or switched on... this has got be an issue for others surely ?? how do you guys avoid / workaround these problems ?
Old 10-25-2011, 04:45 AM

Default Re: Bouncing VI's in PT 10HD

This hasn't been fixed in PT10? That's a tad disappointing.

My workaround is to route the mix bus to the input of an audio track, solo whatever tracks I want bounced and then simply record to the audio track.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:16 AM

How are you 'bouncing' your intruments?

How do you define 'late'.

Do you mean you have a mix where listening to the 'live' output of an instrument sounds 'correct' but then after printing it and listening to the audio file in the mix it sounds 'wrong'?

If this is the case then you are not using PT and delay comp properly.

There is a somewhat 'hidden' thing unless you have RTFM that when you put an audio track on input the delay comp is bypassed, you can force it on and get blue numbers instead. This will affect your timing.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:07 AM

hi guys, thanks for the fast replies !! ..

Marsdy - i just tried your method and it works ok but still the waveform is later than the midi notes - by about 140 samples is closest i can get with or without ADC and trying 256 sample buffer... maybe this is as good as it gets?? what i've noticed is while recording the vi track and audio track the meters look like they are in perfect sync for amplitude and timing...
once it is in playback mode it's easy to see the balance amplitude mismatch from the timing not being kept after the record pass.

James - before trying Marsdy's method i was doing this which i think is similar...

VI on a instrument track... output bussed to a bus.. load a audio track next to it.. make that bus the input... record.. also tried it as a send in the instrument track and that gives a different result. Tried with and without ADC and with different buffers...

by "Late" i mean the start of the waveform of the audio track compared to the midi note hit which is at the start of the bar!

I'd appreciate if you could describe what the best practice is to be followed with regards to ADC and printing tracks internally for VI's

thanks very much !!!!
Old 10-25-2011, 07:16 AM

For me it is normally someone else who is programming synths, and they come up inputs just like any other source.

If i am doing some odd midi stuff then i don't use instrument tracks just because when they were introduced them i didn't understand the point.

Someone can play the music and i record it to a midi track.

Then an aux input has a vi living on it routed to a bus.

Then an audio track on input picking up that bus and routing it to a mix. This audio track is forced to have delay comp with the blue numbers.

You play and listen and if it is right it is right. Then i print the audio track and it sounds the same.

I haven't inspected the difference between the midi notes and audio transients. I don't trust any midi timing inside a computer and i don't care.

There are some demos though esp regarding massey drt where midi hits are used to trigger samples in the free structure and the timing is dead on.