Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2015, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Please Avid We All Really Want You to Be Successful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
But while SoundGrid may be fine for Waves in the "live" marketplace, if they don't switch to Dante they ain't gonna make it in the studio and post markets...
Both are a ROM flash away from whatever is the final standard. In the meanwhile they all talk to MADI.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dterry View Post
I doubt anyone at Sony, Fox, WB etc will be laughing when the annual subscription renewals come due for a few hundred PT licenses...
There's an excellent chance most of those folks are already on support plans and it won't affect them in the slightest. I'm sure Avid took that into consideration.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:48 PM

You always give your biggest customers the best deals
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dterry View Post
True, but somehow I doubt anyone at Sony, Fox, WB etc will be laughing when the annual subscription renewals come due for a few hundred PT licenses, that could have gone towards any number of other more profitable upgrades, new rooms, or other gear purchases.

If there was ever a way to unseat ProTools as the de facto post DAW, I think Avid may have found it.
Facilities with large amounts of avid hardware have already been on support plans forever. Nothing changes.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Please go back an re-read what I posted...

I told them they needed to quit d*cking around with their proprietary SoundGrid network and get on the Dante bandwagon, 'cause that train's done left the station.

You are aware that "SoundGrid" is also Wave's proprietary network protocol?

Which is why I suggested they switch to Dante, another network protocol, which seems to be picking up a broader adoption than SoundGrid.

But in a way, you epitomize the problem I was trying to discuss with them...nobody else could figure out what the hell they were trying to sell, either...
I know what you wrote - I was just pointing out that Waves is still marching ahead on SoundGrid with the current promotion so don't expect them to join forces with anyone else just yet....That's all.....moon
Old 02-14-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upscaps View Post
Facilities with large amounts of avid hardware have already been on support plans forever. Nothing changes.
Completely wrong.

I am very familiar with one particular EDU facility in the Boston area, with hundreds of PT installs, perhaps more than any other facility.
No support plans are in place.

Support is a joke.
No one uses it ... no one wants it.
It is a red herring.

kasper
Old 02-14-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
Completely wrong.

I am very familiar with one particular EDU facility in the Boston area, with hundreds of PT installs, perhaps more than any other facility.
No support plans are in place.

Support is a joke.
No one uses it ... no one wants it.
It is a red herring.

kasper
One place huh. Our service plans r rolled into our lease payments not only for avid but other gear like consoles. same for all other post/music facilities my colleagues work at or own. If that one facility leases their gear, which most facilities do, pretty sure they have service plans for their gear including avid hardware n icons.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:
One place huh. Our service plans r rolled into our lease payments not only for avid but other gear like consoles. same for all other post/music facilities my colleagues work at or own. If that one facility leases their gear, which most facilities do, pretty sure they have service plans for their gear including avid hardware n icons.
Music used to be that way too. Chris Stone told me that he never bought a single console or tape machine for Record Plant and only bought used mikes and outboard gear.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Wrong there too. Lease, if anyone is leasing, I've never heard of them at least in LA.

Support plans? Maybe for a console, but not for Pro Tools or AVID I/O's.

The large facilities, no support plans. They have trained engineering staff that has been trained to fix consoles ect.

Support plans are a waste of money.
EFI flashed 580 GPU
3 card PCI-e expansion chassis.
Avid Artist Control
Apollo 8 Quad, Satellite Quad, Octo Card
Cranesong Avocet Monitor System.
WireWorld ProAudio Cables
Old 02-14-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
A pro doesn't care whether he/she's using "Pro Tools" or "Fred's Home Baked DAW"...they just want a product that does the job in a cost effective manner...
Which usually means the same thing I said, at least if I take a look at myself and the guys I've worked with.

Make me mix an album with 199 dollar Logic and I charge for 2 weeks time. Have me mix an album with 899 dollar Pro Tools and I charge for 1 weeks time. Which do you think is more cost-effective?

Someone else just might choose the other way, but I tend to listen to the music more (Pro Tools) when I don't have to think about how I'm going to do the mix (Logic). So in my opinion a pro really should care what he/she's using.