Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2002, 01:23 PM

Default Recording ye olde albums

Have a minor project at home... wondered if anyone has done this..

I have boxes full of LPs, some of which are unavailable on CD now. I wanted to rip some of them to MP3 or CD R/W for compilations etc...

I have a Rega Planar 3 deck, and wondered if anyone had used their 001 to capture some oldies in a similar way? If so, what was the connectivity. Also wondered if I can get the audio into PT, whether to just use my Soundforge app' to save them as MP3, as I do not have the 001 MP3 capability.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2002, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Recording ye olde albums

Make sure to use a "phono" preamp.
I run into inputs 3-4, 5-6, or 7-8, straight to PT.
Try out Waves "Restoration" demo for pops & crackles. It's a fantastic program that I can't afford... but I sure wore out the demo!
Old 03-01-2002, 03:41 PM

Parker FLY huh? I have one too. There is nothing like it. I think they are THE BEST axes I've ever played. Why do people spend so much on PRS guitars for instance. The tailpiece on them looks like its from 1940's technology.Nice finish but big deal.The FLY has so many good features. What else can compare? My $.02 [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2002, 11:14 AM

I use Clean! from Steinberg.co m . I works well. Don't know how it compares to the Waves Restoration package but I only paid $90 for Clean! v2.0 (Waves cost about $900). Clean! v3.0 is the current version...don't know what that goes for (check with Guitar Center).

As JMS40 mentioned above, you'll also need a phono pre-amp. Steinberg sells a Clean! Plus package which includes the Restoration software and a pre-amp.

Terratec (web site here) (distributed by Fostex in the USA) sells a phono pre-amp/Restoration software bundle as well...can't remember the price though.

I have my turntable connected to an old hi-fi amp/pre-amp (Lafayette LA-74 Quad channel - designed for quad channel records/turntables & tape systems). The output from that goes into my Creamw@re sound card.
Old 03-05-2002, 10:17 AM

Thanks, will give this a try

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]