Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 05-02-2018, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Should I switch to Windows?

What is your experience with Windows OS? Is the computer dedicated? If you are going to go online or use it for other tasks and such with it I wouldn't use Windows. How much can it affect you if it doesn't work. They both have their issues, but for me the Mac has been so much nicer to deal with. It used to be that the main reason to go with PC over Mac was the available software. That isn't true anymore, so you can take your pick.

My personal experience with Windows was not that great. Buggy performance, intrusive software that is monitoring you is everywhere. I feel that there are processes running real time that compete for resources even though you don't want them to. Antivirus software problems. In a recording environment that can be a disaster, not to mention the days that just disappear when working on computers. Whew that brings back some bad memories.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:26 PM

I’m going to share my experience. I’ve been using pro tools for many years and always on PC. I never saw the big thing about Mac and ProTools but since I brought my Mac about 8 months ago, I would never go back to PC. I always had some kind of issue with PC and ProTools but since I’ve had a Mac ProTools just works and for me where time is money this is a big decision on what OS you pick. I’m running ProTools 10 HD and things may be better with the new ProTools but I thought I’d just share my experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 05-03-2018, 05:42 PM

I built a PC for the studio about a year ago, after being exclusively Mac for the previous 17-18 years.

There were initially a lot of things about Windows that I had trouble warming up to, but I chalked most of it up to the 'why is this thing over here when I'm used to it being over there' kind of thinking. After a year of using Win 10 exclusively, I can say the following:

I do in fact prefer MacOS, for a few reasons, but I don't find the differences to be so severe that I'd recommend anyone switch from one to the other if they're happy with the way things are running.

MacOS has a lot of little productivity flourishes that Windows simply doesn't have an answer for, any one of which wouldn't be a big deal on it's own, but when you start to add them all up, their absence becomes mildly annoying. It's not a huge deal, and I'd imagine one's opinion on this matter will depend greatly on how much you used them in MacOS in the first place.

Windows is also significantly uglier (once you peel back the top layer of the Win 10 UI) than MacOS, although it looks waaaay better than previous versions. Again, not a huge deal, and certainly a matter of opinion.

There were a few plugins that I adored that aren't available on PC, and while it is certainly a bummer, it actually led to me finding new workflow(s) and software that I like better.

The only actual big deal I can think of is the matter of system security, and especially the inability to decide when -or if ever - you install updates. You can 'defer' updates if you have the Pro version, but it's only for a few weeks, and then you're machine will update whether you like it or not. To be honest though, any Win machine connected to the internet probably should be, at the very least, getting regular security updates.

And there is something to be said for the idea that malware and viruses are so much less common on the Mac platform. That sense of security isn't without merit, and it's gone once you switch to the most popular OS on the planet. That said, as long as you're smart about your internet usage, you'll probably be just fine.

Building the machine was a blast, and I left myself room to grow (by not buying the top of the line component in each area) in the future.

And man is it ever nice to have PCIe slots again.

If it were me, and my choices were Hackintosh or switching to PC, I'd go PC in a heartbeat. I really wanted to like the idea of a Hackintosh, but after reading up on the idea, and seeing that even the gold star builds had issues (mainly with networking), I decided against it. I wouldn't feel comfortable with a work machine that didn't fully operate as it was suppose to, and/or could be bricked by updating a random driver.
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 05-04-2018, 04:48 AM

In the process of trouble shooting the Thunderbolt booting consistency I FUBAR'ed my video somehow so last night I threw in the towl on the Hackintosh!

Windows 10 Pro installed without a hitch and I even got my Apollo installed as well.

Kinda looks funny seeing Windows boot up on that Apple Thunderbolt Display but it works perfectly. Windows even installed drivers for it's sound, USB, and Firewire. I didn't expect that!

I'll spend the weekend installing all my software and give it a spin. So far it looks pretty promising.
16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Patriot - Spark 256GB SSD System Drive
Patriot - Ignite 480GB SSD Work Drive
Hisense 43" 4K Display
Presonus Quantum
OS - Windows 10 Pro

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, Just pee on it and walk away.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:13 AM

I've worked with both platforms. To me it seems that when you're in PT there is not much difference other than a keyboard shortcut or two. It's when you're outside PT that makes the difference. Are you comfortable troubleshooting on one platform or the other and, if you're not, are you willing to go through a learning curve to get there....especially when things go south and clients are tapping their toe behind you waiting for their product.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsexton View Post
In the process of trouble shooting the Thunderbolt booting consistency I FUBAR'ed my video somehow so last night I threw in the towl on the Hackintosh!
Been there, done that.

What MB are you running? My desire to move to Win 10 is solely based on getting TB working so that I can get a TB interface.

tg
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X
Old 05-04-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
I'm currently clockin' 18+ years using PT on Windows(Windows 98 to Windows 10). It's always worked for me. I also have a Mac Pro, but it doesn't get much use at all these days. Both platforms are equally solid when set up specifically for PT. Once I have everything rock solid and stable, I completely lock it down and make zero changes. No internet, no updates, no other software installed, no nothing. That's been my formula for success on both platforms.

Shane
+1
Old 05-04-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post
Been there, done that.

What MB are you running? My desire to move to Win 10 is solely based on getting TB working so that I can get a TB interface.

tg
I'm using an Asus Prime Z370-A with an Asus ThunderboltEX III add in card. I got it working in MacOS but I'd have to reboot a few times to get it to recognize. Other Hackintosh builders are having the same issue...

Windows 10 Pro installed without a problem and works perfectly with this combination.
Hisense 43" 4K Display
Presonus Quantum
OS - Windows 10 Pro

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, Just pee on it and walk away.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:15 AM

"especially the inability to decide when -or if ever - you install updates. You can 'defer' updates if you have the Pro version, but it's only for a few weeks, and then you're machine will update whether you like it or not."

See pro-tools-pc.com. guitardom has a small utility to turn off updates permanently if that's what you desire.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 05-08-2018, 06:20 AM

Just a quick update...

Got Pro Tools and all of my plugins installed ( There were Windows versions of every thing I own) and all went well. The install process seems slower to me but I do like the idea of having an "uninstall" for everything.

Last night I finally got a chance to do a little work on an existing project that was started on my old MBP and other than the "close window" being in the wrong corner the differences amounted to nothing.

The new computer is obviously much more powerful than the MBP so it's hard to make that comparison.

Overall the process went pretty smooth. I think Windows is going to suit me just fine.
Hisense 43" 4K Display
Presonus Quantum
OS - Windows 10 Pro