Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-31-2009, 09:16 AM

Default 8.0.3 giving "not an audio playback volume" error on hot swappable drives only

Hello all,

I recently updated my PT to 8.0.3 and ever since then I receive a "not an audio playback volume" error when I try to launch a session on a Glyph hot swappable drive. These drives worked perfectly before with 8.0.1cs1, which is what I was running before the 8.0.3 update. The drives are being connected to a GT-103 rack mounted bay with firewire 400. Even when I try the drives on a single bay, both 400 and 800 firewire, I receive the same error. The drive is set to Record. Other drives work fine, including other Glyph drives that are not swappable. There were some other glitchy things with the OS so I re-installed that, did all the OS updates back to 10.5.8. I already uninstalled/reinstalled Pro Tools with the same results, and I already contacted Glyph regarding any firmware updates- there aren't any. I've also checked the permissions on the drive itself, read & write selected. I will also note that there are two other machines in my facility recently updated to 8.0.3 as well and they all work fine with the drives. Any thoughts?

This is my first time posting so if any additional information is required let me know. Thank you.

Mac Pro, OS X 10.5.8
2 x 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
8GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Pro Tools 8.0.3
Old 12-31-2009, 10:09 AM

Default Re: 8.0.3 giving "not an audio playback volume" error on hot swappable drives only

So you have not gone in and set the drive back to a Record Volume via the Workspace window as per the General Trouble Shooting sticky?

Or have you and it's not working?

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-31-2009, 10:14 AM

Default Re: 8.0.3 giving "not an audio playback volume" error on hot swappable drives only

Yes, I have changed it to Record in the workspace. It was always set to record even the first time I received this error. I tried switching it to Playback then back to Record, but no go.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:10 AM
Avid

Have you tried trashing prefs and databases yet? Or testing from a different admin account?
Old 12-31-2009, 11:52 AM

I had previously trashed prefs but I just did it again with no results. I then created a new Admin account to try that, still no results.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:58 AM
Avid

I would try backing up and erasing the drive, then copy your data back. I can't think of any other reason it wouldn't work, especially if other drives on the same system are working fine.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:30 PM

I'm seeing the same problem on an external drive that has previously worked just fine (until my recent upgrade to PT 8.0.3 LE). The drive is set to RECORD (always has been).

What DOES work every time is to simply open the session from the workspace. But even after opening it from the workspace, I can close it and try to open it from the finder with the same error (in the subject line of this post).

And yes, I've just tried all the suggestions above (except the one about erasing the drive).
Old 12-31-2009, 05:01 PM

Wait I'm a bit confused- do you mean erase the internal, or system, drive? Or do you mean erase the external drive? If you are referring to the external drive I can try it, but let me also mention that my facility has more than one of they Glyph key drives, about 8 in total, and the same error happens with all of them.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:03 PM

Giles this is interesting! Unfortunately I have already left my facility but I will have to try this, I will post my results.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:16 PM

I've had a similar problem with 8.01cs1. The solution for me was to re-partition the drive as Mac Extended, not journaled.
I hope this helps.