Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-30-2015, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Is it really $599/yr?

What will happen to hd users that let their software lapse? Answer this.

If we do let it go how do we get back on on later versions. There needs to be a reasoble way back on.

If they brick my hardware im done for good with this company. Promised. I have spent over 20k on avid hardware and would continue to spend money. But i will not be shafted.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanonbass View Post

If we do let it go how do we get back on on later versions. There needs to be a reasoble way back on.

If they brick my hardware im done for good with this company. Promised. I have spent over 20k on avid hardware and would continue to spend money. But i will not be shafted.
I have the same question. I currently am on LE but would like to move to HD in the future (if Avid ever figures this mess out). What happens at the end of the year? If you pay for a year and then let the support plan go do you keep the upgrades up to that point or do you go back to what you started with?

Last edited by Quickdraw; 03-30-2015 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanonbass View Post

It's been stated a few times by Avid. They have no policy on HD lapse as of yet.

They say we have until dec 31, 2015 to upgrade and they will have a policy in place on HD lapse in more than enough time.

My hope it they do like Media Composer and un-bundle the HD software from the hardware and offer an HD software subscription plan.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
If you pay for a year and then let the support plan go do you keep the upgrades up to that point or do you go back to what you started with?

You keep the updates, ie the last functioning version you were using with the plan, and you are stopped there
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:14 AM

By now, pretty much all HD owners know there is no policy regarding upgrades.

I'm not an HD owner, but that strikes me as absolutely crazy. Nuts. Bonkers. How can you release a new version of your product, and not tell existing owners when or how or if they will be allowed to upgrade? Did the entire marketing and sales departments at Avid quit during the last three months? Meanwhile, the CEO got a 25% raise, and the CFO got 31.25%.

You can't make this stuff up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall2Wall View Post
It's been stated a few times by Avid. They have no policy on HD lapse as of yet.

They say we have until dec 31, 2015 to upgrade and they will have a policy in place on HD lapse in more than enough time.

My hope it they do like Media Composer and un-bundle the HD software from the hardware and offer an HD software subscription plan.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post

I'm not an HD owner, but that strikes me as absolutely crazy. Nuts. Bonkers. How can you release a new version of your product, and not tell existing owners when or how or if they will be allowed to upgrade? Did the entire marketing and sales departments at Avid quit during the last three months? Meanwhile, the CEO got a 25% raise, and the CFO got 31.25%.

On April 10th it will be 6 months since the new licensing scheme was announced (Oct 10th 2014). Truly a company walking their own path.
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 04-03-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post

I agree. I know they will have a policy in place by the end of the year, but I worry that it will come with very little time to make a decision. I am sure they know how bonkers this all is, but getting out of this mess will be a real test for Avid as a company.

I myself take issue with $599 as it stands now because Avid has not done enough to convince me of the value of subscribing to their plan. I am sure they will bundle some stuff in at one point (a full adobe subscription gets you all their software), but unless the bundles reflect our professional PT usage, there is no point. If I did music and had to work in PTHD, then I could see a PT/Sibelius/a few plugins as a reasonable offering for $599/year. For post, if they bundled in PTHD and Media composer along with a few post oriented plugins, I could see a value in that for $599. But PTHD alone won't cut it.

AD
Old 04-03-2015, 10:13 AM

I would be shocked if they ever bundled anything for HD folk at $599 ...
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 04-03-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
I would be shocked if they ever bundled anything for HD folk at $599 ...
True, but if there is not a large enough buy in to the subscription plan they will have to do something.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adogg4629 View Post
True, but if there is not a large enough buy in to the subscription plan they will have to do something.
I'm hoping it's the golden parachute thing and somebody else, NOT adobe, buys them...but who would want to have to straighten this mess out before they even get to square one for a legitimate release? I think Slate would be a good bet, but I'm sure they'd need an angel.
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 2 1T data drives in Thunderbolt enclosure, OSX 10.10.5, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, Pro Tools 12.4 HD, PreSonus Studio One 3.5, Logic X, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.