Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-30-2015, 05:29 AM

Default I don't think I like this

I was reading in the FAQ and it said if you let your subscription run out you can't use your pro tools? WHAT the hell I have had Pro tools since 6 and paid for upgrades thru the years and now a subscription. God damn I am just some home user come on with this ********. Is there something comparable to pro tools that will work on the digi 003 with the aax plug ins? Right now I cant keep up with the waves plan how in the hell am I going to keep up on a subscription to pro tools. This is looking like the last straw,,, I feel like this is pro tools Obama care WTF...
Old 03-30-2015, 06:02 AM

Default Re: I don't think I like this

No one else uses AAX, just ProTools. If you have a full license for ProTools you can keep running whatever version have. If $200 a year is not worth it and you constantly need to upgrade then your best bet is a different platform. Personally I suggest parking your system on a stable version and then not upgrading at all.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:12 AM

There is no need to rush... stay on 10/11 . There is no powerfull or wonderfull reason to upgrade right now so be happy and forget the PT12 hype .

I see you have 003 like me so im on the same boat . I am not going to make any other upgrdes till they fix the driver issues and the wordclock recall .

Here are the new features :

https://www.avid.com/US/products/pro...tware#Features

With all respect for me that is gibberish !

Keep the volume UP !
Old 03-30-2015, 06:13 AM

I agree. They have completely alienated the entire customer base with this.

I have used protools hd for 10 years. I am loyal. But i dont want to subscribe and constantly bleed money. I want to upgrade when i want to upgrade!!

Not when avid tells me. First versions of the software are always bugged to hell and back and it takes a year to get a usable version anyways.

Change this monstrosity or im leaving for cubase. Already looking at symphony conversation and new controllers. I will dump protools. Hope avid is reading. We are fed up!

Get with the times and realise the audio industry has evolved and you are not the only daw maker. You can edit in cubase as well.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanonbass View Post
I agree. They have completely alienated the entire customer base with this.

Get with the times and realise the audio industry has evolved and you are not the only daw maker. You can edit in cubase as well.
And still Avid and a lot of moderators don't understand the anger of loyal customers. Hard to comprehend.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:01 PM

I dont post on these forums much. I mostly read. I have been a PT user since 8. My opinion doesnt mean a thing to Avid or probably anyone here. I have been loyal to Avid for years. Im not an HD user (which IMO, the people who are getting screwed the most) and my studio is modest. But it has provided an income for me and my family and Ive ran and paid for 2 Pro Tools licenses. I have paid for update after update, and I dont regret it. However, no more. Im done with Avid. This yearly fee on their schedule, has pushed me out. I dont care about any of the new features such as cloud collaboration. Freeze tracks would be awesome, but should have been implemented years ago.

Ideascale is a joke. It just proves how out of touch Avid truly is with their customer base. Over the past week I have downloaded the demo to Studio One Pro and watched the tutorial videos. I like it. Alot.

Im a nobody in Avid's eyes, as I would think most home studio guys are, but I would think many of us used Pro Tools because we thought it was "the industry standard" and we wanted excellence, functionality, and elegance in one package. I feel real bad for you HD users. Its extortion for you guys.

Avid, you lost one very loyal fan and customer. Hope you put the 5k Ive spent on your company to good use because you will never see another penny from me.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzerboy View Post
I was reading in the FAQ and it said if you let your subscription run out you can't use your pro tools? WHAT the hell I have had Pro tools since 6 and paid for upgrades thru the years and now a subscription. God damn I am just some home user come on with this ********. Is there something comparable to pro tools that will work on the digi 003 with the aax plug ins? Right now I cant keep up with the waves plan how in the hell am I going to keep up on a subscription to pro tools. This is looking like the last straw,,, I feel like this is pro tools Obama care WTF...
Don't confuse the SUBSCRIPTION with the SUPPORT PLAN.

With the Subscription, yes, when it's over you no longer have access to Pro Tools.

BUT, the Support Plan gives you a PERPETUAL license. Meaning that even if you choose to let it expire after a year, you still own your license and you can continue to use it forever.

If you want to upgrade later, then you can use the Subscription or repurchase a new perpetual license.

So, in real world terms....

If you have Pro Tools 11, you can upgrade to PT12 right now for $199. This gives you a PT10/11/12 license bundle and the Support/Upgrade plan for one year. You will get all updates for PT12 until your Support Plan expires. If you then choose NOT to renew for $199, you WILL STILL be able to use Pro Tools 12 at the latest version you have. Use it forever.

IMHO, this first year upgrade is a good deal for everyone. It's been 2 years since 11 was released, the upgrade would have been $199 anyway.... And you will receive a perpetual license just as before. We just have to wait and see how the first year goes before we can decide if it's worth it for the second year. But this upgrade is worth it IMO.

Hope that explains it better.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Don't confuse the SUBSCRIPTION with the SUPPORT PLAN.

With the Subscription, yes, when it's over you no longer have access to Pro Tools.

BUT, the Support Plan gives you a PERPETUAL license. Meaning that even if you choose to let it expire after a year, you still own your license and you can continue to use it forever.

If you want to upgrade later, then you can use the Subscription or repurchase a new perpetual license.

So, in real world terms....

If you have Pro Tools 11, you can upgrade to PT12 right now for $199. This gives you a PT10/11/12 license bundle and the Support/Upgrade plan for one year. You will get all updates for PT12 until your Support Plan expires. If you then choose NOT to renew for $199, you WILL STILL be able to use Pro Tools 12 at the latest version you have. Use it forever.

IMHO, this first year upgrade is a good deal for everyone. It's been 2 years since 11 was released, the upgrade would have been $199 anyway.... And you will receive a perpetual license just as before. We just have to wait and see how the first year goes before we can decide if it's worth it for the second year. But this upgrade is worth it IMO.

Hope that explains it better.

So, I am just curious how fast and how many "updates" will users get to PT12? From what I am reading PT12 is broke already with its release. Can you see the point on why people don't like this subscription stuff because Avid can come back later afterwards and say "Well we are only going to give one or two large updates a year and every two years you will get an "upgrade"". Actually once you go with a subscription plan there are no upgrades its a constant bug fix or adding new features. Look at Photoshop, how much more can you add to Photoshop? Not a whole heck of a lot so how much more can be added to Pro Tools as it stands today?

I'm one of those folks who is going to wait until December 31,2015 to give my answer if I subscribe to it or not but as of right now I don't see any pro too it whatsoever. JMHO.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboman01 View Post
So, I am just curious how fast and how many "updates" will users get to PT12? From what I am reading PT12 is broke already with its release. Can you see the point on why people don't like this subscription stuff because Avid can come back later afterwards and say "Well we are only going to give one or two large updates a year and every two years you will get an "upgrade"". Actually once you go with a subscription plan there are no upgrades its a constant bug fix or adding new features. Look at Photoshop, how much more can you add to Photoshop? Not a whole heck of a lot so how much more can be added to Pro Tools as it stands today?

I'm one of those folks who is going to wait until December 31,2015 to give my answer if I subscribe to it or not but as of right now I don't see any pro too it whatsoever. JMHO.
Absolutely. Don't think that just because I post clarifications of the policy that I don't have concerns. I just happen to think that for this specific release it's a fine deal, it would have been $199 anyway, we still get a perpetual license, ect... That's how I'm looking at it. Once the upgrades come (or do not) then we will be in a better position to gauge if this policy is a good deal for the future.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:09 PM

Would someone mind linking where users must upgrade their perpetual license or they will no be able to do so in the future?

I have some friends asking, and I can't find the verbiage.

All I can find is something to the effect that users must upgrade to continue to receive updates. I couldn't find the details that explain you will not be able to upgrade ever if you let your plan lapse.