Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-19-2002, 07:12 AM

Default anyone used kontakt with pro tools

how is it compared to a hardware sampler. how is the quality of the samples. or should i go for the roland xv5080. thanks.
Old 11-19-2002, 08:53 AM

Default Re: anyone used kontakt with pro tools

Kontakt works great, sounds great, go for it...
Old 11-20-2002, 12:23 AM

Kontact is the a amazing. I prefer it much more over SSC. One thing to keep in mind though.... It doesn't work with the 002 yet.

Alex
Old 11-20-2002, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by usinare:
how is it compared to a hardware sampler. how is the quality of the samples. or should i go for the roland xv5080. thanks.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">They are such different beasts.
The XV5080 has a sampler option limited in ram and is a fiend to program. But it has a reasonably big bank of onboard sounds that are decent enough and it doesn't enfeeble your computer and has all the inherent benefits of hardware over software. 7 out of 10.

Kontakt is a softsampler limited only by your Mac's power, streaming from disk soon but for now you'll need a good whack of memory for it.
There are the latency issues but PT6 and sample accurate midi is around the corner.
It's an awesome creative piece of software and a bonus is that it's about 15-20% the cost of the 5080. It has all the inherent benefits of software over hardware. 9 out of 10.
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2002, 11:28 AM

I find the stock sounds rather useless. But, I never use stock sounds anyway.

It's a great sampler, but still in it's infancy. Direct Connect works well, but Kontakt won't sync to midi beat clock from ProTools - yet. So, no sync'd LFO's for cool rhythmic pads etc. I hope they fix this soon.

I'd say, buy it, it's cheap!
Old 11-20-2002, 01:25 PM

It should be noted that the Streammanager 128 does not work with PT HD. the 512 Streammanager should be ok as long as you do not play live. For live playing the latency is just much to big. Otherwise Kontakt is great.

daniel
Old 11-21-2002, 12:39 AM

dont use the midi output option that appears when you open kontak's direct connect plugin. Use the iac bus and make sure you that if you rename the iac channel you are going to use it does not have the word Kontak in it.

Good luck
Old 11-21-2002, 08:09 AM

Daniel,
Kontakt does work with the Stream Manager 128 and ProTools HD. The problem is that you only get about 24 voices without distortion at this point. Hopefully Native will update there DC and OMS driver soon. Otherwise Kontakt is the best sampler on the market so far.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Daniel,
Kontakt does work with the Stream Manager 128 and ProTools HD. The problem is that you only get about 24 voices without distortion at this point. Hopefully Native will update there DC and OMS driver soon. Otherwise Kontakt is the best sampler on the market so far.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
IP: Logged
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Detlef

This is what for me does not work. You should get the double than that. (Of course depending on what Computer etz. Take what ever you get with the 512 Streammanager as 100 %. With the 128_SM you should get araound 70 or 80 %. But at the moment you get 37%. The Performance is so week that I can not even get a simple arangment with 4 Kontaktinstruments (total Poliphonie 20 Voices) and 1 Absynt with only 1 Voice to work without crackels.

Digi aprooved this "Bug" and they will fix it sometimes. Sofar if you need a more or less aceptable perfornance you can not work with 128_SM and PT HD at this time.

daniel
Old 11-23-2002, 03:51 PM

Kontakt just arrived in the mail today. First comments are that the screen is really hard to read, even at the largest size, due to the colors they choose. Hopefully they will fix the skin. The stock samples are pretty weak but it does read a lot of other sample formats so it should not be a problem. It looks to have lots of features as well as a good UI, but I am just scratching the surface right now. I bought it because it looks like it could become the leader and Digi will not make a clear statement on if they will support SoftSampleCell in OSX plus have not added any features in years and I needed to go to something I can stick with because I am about to invest weeks of my life into developing my library. It seems Digi has little respect to the fact we have to plan things in advance and our huge time investment each of us make in using their tools.

Yes you will need lots of RAM, but it is cheap. Don't buy anything smaller than 512MB a stick. I just stepped up to 1GB for my HD3 system today because I was running out of RAM.