benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 12-14-2009, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Which drum program to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_hopwood View Post
I want something that can produce great results for Alternative/Industrial/Rock, has some decent in depth tweaking, great samples and works good with Pro Tools 8.

What is Strike like? I haven't used it.
BFD can use supported third party sample libraries where Avid AIR Strike currently does not support this.

filosofem
Old 12-14-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
BFD can use supported third party sample libraries where Avid AIR Strike currently does not support this.

filosofem
Yeah i wish they would, but really you can get about any sound you want but you may need to tweek a bit. Or do what I do and use Drumagog in conjunction with Strike, when you want a differant sound

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 12-14-2009, 08:47 PM

Strike in it's first release form from a music programmers perceptive is what a music programmer (Songwriter) needs. I personally dropped Reason's ReDrum for Strike but I've heard around the traps that from an engineers perceptive BFD is what an engineer (Producer) needs.

You may be able to turn great sounding results from Strike but IMO BFD requires less work given the third party sample library support.

And I agree Benoni, Strike should support the option for third party sample library importing. Then we'd lean towards UI usability discussions and feature sets.

filosofem
Old 12-15-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nod25 View Post
DL and try AD.

I'll never try BFD again.
I would have agreed with this comment, but BFD2 is much better than previous versions.

Although I am still tempted to add Superior Drummer to the Arsenal, just need to find an excuse
Old 12-15-2009, 12:48 PM

I've been using BFD2 with the Andy Johns pack - really amazing samples that are pre-compressed and EQ'd so unlike the stock BFD samples are ready to go right out of the box - you don't need to be an engineer to get an amazing sound.

I've not heard better for indie/classic rock stuff. Have had no problems with BFD2 and PT8.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77pro View Post
Never had any problems with my system 'till I installed Kontact...when I'm using it my system is a little unstable
Quote:
Originally Posted by nod25 View Post
That was my concern also. DON'T use ANYTHING NI was the message of the day.
I know this is OT but is this true? i.e Kontakt is buggy? I only say because I'm considering getting Scarbee Bass (I know, post a new thread..)
Old 12-15-2009, 05:11 PM

well i'm still kinda lost with what to buy.

i'll explain a little:
i like to work in the midi editor programming the drums from scratch, using the velocity, changing the pitch of the same samples, composing things around the keyboard, midi real time properties etc.

now with that said, i would like a high quality program with great samples that works great with pro tools 8. has the whole direct, overhead, room and talkback mics that you can blend and mix and has heaps of tweaking. being able to import your own samples would be good to.

also i don't care about all the drum loops, templates, groove templates, special kits, jazz sets etc.

would just like something as i explained without all the garbage. hope this post helps.

cheers.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:

i'll explain a little:
i like to work in the midi editor programming the drums from scratch, using the velocity, changing the pitch of the same samples, composing things around the keyboard, midi real time properties etc.

now with that said, i would like a high quality program with great samples that works great with pro tools 8. has the whole direct, overhead, room and talkback mics that you can blend and mix and has heaps of tweaking. being able to import your own samples would be good to.

also i don't care about all the drum loops, templates, groove templates, special kits, jazz sets etc.

would just like something as i explained without all the garbage. hope this post helps.

cheers.
With that workflow I would definitely recommend BFD2.

It does all you require...and then some
Old 12-15-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:

i'll explain a little:

cheers.
Strike will do all that except import your own samples.

You should try the demo of some programs and choose what works best for you. No Demo for Strike though.

BFD2 demo

Battery 3 demo

I couldnt find a free demo for SD 2.0, but i didnt look very hard either
ToonTracks.com

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio