Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 11:40 PM

Default can\'t change song tempo after recorded??!!

I was listening to some songs and thought they needed to be sped up a bit. What am I missing? I been searching for the answer all night. Thank u.
digi 001
REASON 2.5

Old 07-18-2005, 02:37 AM

Default Re: can\'t change song tempo after recorded??!!

Thanx for responding RR.
To be more specific I have a song (audio tracks) recorded and thought it would sound better if I increased the tempo by a couple BPM. I thought it would be as simple as changing the tempo, but it looks like it might be more complex than it should be. Thanx again RR. If anyone has more info please share. Thank you.
digi 001
REASON 2.5

Old 07-18-2005, 03:10 AM

Hello,

Speed up the tempo is easier to slowing down (this last one must create some sample with interpolation that cause artefact).
If all instruments are in separated tracks it would work better because you could find the best setting according to each instrument behavior.

But in both case you should use a very good plug ins (that mean not the ones included w/ PT except if you only have those). Generally this kind of process isn't realtime ones (Audiosuite). The best ones (for me but I don't know all of them) are Pitch 'n' Time 2 and Soundshifter (Waves). They includes many feature to change duration in selection either time code, duration, tempo and have many algorythm process to fit with specific audio source or instrument. You can do time variation to with those but it's not useful for you ...

Another way is to report it on an analog tape (hi end of course) and to pitch it with the tape player (best way if it's a stereo recording even if you can not do any precise setup).
PT12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.11.1 (MBP)
PT 10.3.10 / PT11.3.2 / PT12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.8.5 (MM "Production" on SSD)
PT 12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.11.1 (MM "test" on HDD)
RME UFX (USB2 with MM and Firewire with MBP)
+ Vienna Ensemble Pro Server on PC Q6600/8Gb/Win7-Pro64-SP1
Old 07-18-2005, 01:35 PM

Thanx for the info guys, but am I crazy to think that it should be as easy as changing the tempo with a couple clicks of the mouse?? All this other stuff you're talking about sounds like too much of a hassle. I think I'm just gonna re-record the damn songs. After all, they are bangers.
digi 001
REASON 2.5

Old 07-21-2005, 12:38 PM

There are a couple ways to accomplish this:

First, if you're not sure yet if you want to make the tempo change, then all you should just bounce the mix down to a stereo file, and then bring it back into ProTools. Use Identify Beat to determine the original BMP and then use Digi’s Time Comp/Exp. to set it to the desired tempo. If this end result is what you want, then use it – at least you’ll find out if the tempo change is what you want. If you do want to change the tempo, but retain sonic quality, then you’ll have to go back to the original session and start there.

Do you have Serato's Pitch and Time pluggin? That is my weapon of choice for this type of work and the sonic quality of this plugin is unmatched IMHO. The residual artifacts usually thought of with time comp/exp are simply not an issue with this plugin. If you have SPnT, then all you really need to do is select the entire track (each and every track) and input the desired tempo in Pitch n Time, and let it do its thing. If you don't have Serato, then you'll have to manually use Digi's time comp/exp AS plugin, which will require more time if you do decide to change the tempo.

Here's how I'd do it with Digi’s Time Comp/Exp. plugin:

Select a full measure from the drum tracks - you'll want the kick, snare, and hihat (or ride, etc). Loop playback and listen to it continuously for a good minute. If the loop doesn't stray and it sounds like the start and stop points are good, then it's a full measure. Zoom in down to the sample and check the zero crossings. If it's all good, them make regions of this selection.

Now, use Identify Beat command to see what the tempo is now of on of the “reference” regions you just created. Make a note of the tempo, and put Protools into Grid mode based on this tempo. Adjust the tracks so that if you go anywhere along the timeline and select a full measure of audio, it is synced up to the grid. This is a very important part of this process and should be carefully examined to be as close to sample accurate as possible. Question - are there any tempo changes in your song? If so, the rest of this is going to be really tricky and time consuming. If there are tempo changes, you'll have to separate the performance with tempo specific markers...

After your tracks are locked to grid, and the original BMP has been determined, use Digi’s Time Comp/Exp. to start changing the tempo. I wouldn’t do more than 4 bars at time, and if you find that a change is sonically unacceptable, then you may have to doctor up the track first with compression, and hi/low shelf EQ. Do small chunks at a time for each track and consolidate as necessary. If you set up the grid perfectly, all it will take is highlighting the bars – you shouldn’t have to make separate regions.

If you have tempo changes, you will have to manually adjust the destination tempo to reflect the same increase/decrease BPM as the other tempos in the map. It’s a lengthy process, but if you really want to change the tempo of the song and don’t have Pitch N Time or Ableton Live, this is really the only other way. I’m not too savvy with using Live for this… it might be easier… I just haven’t done it before.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Thanx for the info guys, but am I crazy to think that it should be as easy as changing the tempo with a couple clicks of the mouse??

Well, I guess the short answer is yes, you are crazy if you think that a simple mouse click or two can smoothly and effortlessly (and for free) speed up an analog recording without changing the pitch. It's not a problem, though; I'm crazy, too. ;^)
digi 001, PT LE 5.3
Old 07-25-2005, 11:49 AM

I understand the whole pitch thing now kind-of-I-guess. Maybe it doesn't matter to me because of the type of music I make or maybe I'm deaf or maybe you guys have had formal music training or maybe my songs just suck. Thank you again. I just hate all this tech crap except when I know it. Peace
digi 001
REASON 2.5