Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 10-27-2017, 01:39 AM

Default Protools 12 min specs

Hi, wonder if you folks could settle a dispute. we have a protools lab that is running very poorly, for the most part not getting past the splash screen, or when it does its getting CPU dropouts. the version is PT12.4. the hardware is an imac intel dual core running at 2.6Ghz with 4Gb of ram, with a clean install of Elcapitan. There seems to be a dispute in our department that this is a sufficient specification for running protools 12.I made strong recommendations that this was not sufficient, even with the various tweaks (no spotlight, no bluetooth wifi etc). can you guys confirm if this hardware and OS is sufficient?

Many thanks

Aitchy
Old 10-27-2017, 02:05 AM

Default Re: Protools 12 min specs

...much underpowered , at least regarding cpu ( i7 or Xeon 4core minimum)
and RAM (16 Gb minimum , more is better)

4gb ram is , maybe , sufficient for PT10 , but since PT11 was 8GB minimum,
now 16GB with PT12

Btw your computer seems pretty outdated , also the GPU
should be checked , as it is an important point for PT.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:33 AM

It's all out there on Avid's site... you don't need to argue with your coworkers, just send them to the site... http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...m-Requirements

Here are the Minimum System Requirements from Avid's site...

Mac:

- Intel® Core i5 processor
- 16GB RAM (32GB or more recommended)
- 15GB disk space for installation
- USB-port for iLok authorization (iLok 2 or iLok 3 required)
- USB-port, FireWire-port or Thunderbolt-port for CoreAudio-supported audio device

- Mac Pro (Mid 2010) - OSX 10.13
- Pro Tools 2018.4
- Apogee Ensemble - Firewire
- Eleven Rack
Old 10-27-2017, 09:03 AM

Hang on a sec. Has that always been the min specs for PT12 on a Mac?

Min 16Gb RAM? Really? There's no Apple laptop that supports more than 16Gb RAM currently shipping. In fact, you can only go over 16Gb RAM in a MacPro or iMac.

Seems like a VERY high minimum config.

Pretty crazy that a DAW requires that much RAM. If you're not using Disk Cache or sample heavy VIs, I honestly can't understand why that much RAM is necessary. Heck, I can run PT11 on a MacBook Air with 4Gb RAM and it plods away without issue. I usually have a browser open too!

Something seems off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2017, 09:37 AM

Hi,
I don't post much on here unless I know a fact that may help or have a question.
If you use a MAC and you look at the specific 'QUAILIFIED' computers on the website, I have NEVER had a problem that was not a known issue or that AVID support did not help me fix.

I have 3 DIFFERENT 'QUALIFIED' MAC's and they all run their 'qualified' versions flawlessly as long as you don't use El Capitan. I have Carbon Copy Cloner running in the background. I have WiFi on. I have Bluetooth on. Sometimes I have iTunes and Safari open.

If you look, you will see that MOST of the computers are older. You can find very good or even new ones on eBay for much less than you would spend on a new anything.

The Windows 'Qualified' computers are very few and far between. I am a Windows person but LOVE my MAC's for Pro Tools.

BTW, I am on several versions of Pro Tools across the 3 MAC's but 12.8.2 is perfectly fine on 2 of my computers. The other is much too old.
I am not on HD.