Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2008, 09:07 AM

Default Importing downloaded songs into PT from iTunes

OK, I thought this would be simple, but apparently not....

Normally, I import a stereo wav file from a CD into my PT session when I'm mixing as an EQ and balance reference. This is pretty common and I've been doing this for years.

However, I thought I'd try downloading an appropriate tune from iTunes and import it into PT to accomplish the same thing without having to purchase a whole CD. No way, nada, can't do it.

This mp4 format is somehow protected. I tried converting it in iTunes to mp3, I tried using Audiofinder to convert it with the LAME mp3 converter, no way, nada, doesn't work - you get a file full of static.

What's a guy to do? How can I convert these files into something that I can import into PT or another editor? I also noticed that Peak LE would not load the mp4 file.

Interestingly, I can't use Walmart's mp3 download service either as it doesn't work with OS X, or I would simply switch to a company that provides importable downloads. (Amazon?)

If there's no way around this, then please point me to a legal download site that works with Macs, and gives me an importable file format.

PTLE8/002r;OS 10.6.4 2 x 2.26Ghz quadcore,6GB RAM, Waves Platinum, many other plugins...
Old 01-28-2008, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Importing downloaded songs into PT from iTunes

Burn it to an audio CD, then import audio straight off of the CD. Sucks that you have to "waste" a blank CD-r, but that's my work-around... Unless you route a signal from your computer into an input of Pro Tools.

-Ryan

•Pro Tools 12.6 (x2)
•OSX 10.11 & 10.12
•Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (x2)
•16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (x2)
•HD Native PCIe (x2)
•HD Omni (x2)
•192 i/o
•96 i/o
•4 Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
•Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI)
Old 01-28-2008, 01:44 PM

OK, I found some software that will remove the DRM encoding. It's supposedly legal. I'll give it a whirl and post back later if it works.

I think the iTunes store has seen their last purchase from me until they get rid of DRM. It's ridiculous that I can't play the "iTunes-purchased" song in something other than iTunes - or even convert it to mp3. Apparently, there are quite a few sites (Amazon, Rhapsody, Walmart, etc), that offer DRM-free downloads.

....it looks like Soundflower may also provide a way to get the song into PT. I'll try that as well.

PTLE8/002r;OS 10.6.4 2 x 2.26Ghz quadcore,6GB RAM, Waves Platinum, many other plugins...
Old 01-28-2008, 09:03 PM

The application, Fairgame, was based on Applescript and bombed on me. It uses a combination of QT and iMovie HD to accomplish the conversion.

However, Soundflower worked like a charm. Easy to use, just set the Default Audio output to be Soundflower (2 ch) in Audio/Midi setup, and loaded up Audacity, setting it's record input to Soundflower (2ch). It was realtime only, but then I had a wav file from which I can make an mp3 or whatever other format I want.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:35 PM

waste a cd-r? i use the same cd-rw strictly for that purpose. ill buy songs off itunes, burn it to the cd-rw, then import it as a regular aac or aiff file. then using disk utility, ill erase the cd-rw for next use. ill also erase the protected aac files on itunes. now all my songs are able to do whatever.