How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2013, 03:47 PM

Default Trouble Hooking up MIDI into Pro Tools

Hello all,

I have a question. I was trying to hook up and set up my MIDI with pro tools by watching this vid tutorial and things seemed to go well, but when I got to the part where I have to open the mix window to arm up the tracks, I am getting nothing on the mix window. The tracks spaces appear but in blank. Can anyone tell me why and how can I fix this?

My MIDI is an Akai MPK 25

Thank you in advance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpBYoOzvRmk
Old 02-28-2013, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Trouble Hooking up MIDI into Pro Tools

Here is what works for me. In Pro Tools, go to Setup>Midi>Midi Studio. In this window you need to set up your controller as a midi "instrument". Choose Create Instrument and name it MPK(or whatever you like). The next 2 settings(brand and model) are not required. The midi port for input IS the crucial setting. It would likely be called "AkaiUSB" or something like that. If you don't find anything in that list that corresponds to the Akai, maybe you need a driver. Once that's done and closed, create a stereo instrument track and insert your VI plugin in the top-most insert slot(slot A)(I would insert MiniGrand for testing). Hit the record-enable button on the track and play the keyboard. You SHOULD be hearing piano

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-21-2013, 06:55 AM

Default Re: Trouble Hooking up MIDI into Pro Tools

Thanks so much albee, I did not see this until now. I wasn't receiving email notifications when someone replied to me. I'm still not receiving them, even though I believe I put on the right settings for it. Anyway, thank you for your reply. I got to work out the initial MIDI hook up by watching tutorials, and got to start recording and editing, but now I have encountered a new problem...

For some reason I don't understand, I got at least 3 aux inputs for 3 different tracks that are not working; chorus track, harmony for chorus track and a guitar track. For some reason, they are not going through their own aux input that I created with each track, they are going through the aux input I created for the verses and pre-chorus track and it's causing distortion. This aux eventually goes to red. Have you ever come across anything like this? I'm considering starting all over

Thanks in advance for any help!