Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2005, 05:37 AM

Default Any 6.7 RTAS RA or Collossus Users?

I have posted this topic on the Northern Sounds Forum, the NI Forum, the Soundslonline forum and also on the Pro Tools LE forum here and I cant find a SINGLE person using PT 6.7 with EWQL Collosus or RA. Thought I might find someone here.

Why am I trying?

Because the new RA and Collossus have an updated Kompakt interface that is supposed to fix the performance problems in RTAS. It supposedly runs as effectively as other programs if you are using PT 6.7

Doug Rogiers also mentioned about three weeks ago that ALL NI products will then be updated with this new Kompakt player. Since then, he has said there were some complications with the 6.9 release, delaying the updating of all other NI products but that RA and Collosus run beatifully under 6.7.

Can anybody verify this?

Is there hope for RTAS and NI libraries?
(he asks with unopened Platinum sitting in boxes on his desk)
2xMacPro 2.66,002r,OSX 10.4.10,PT 7.4cs8
3xVisionDaw,NI Komplete,Yamaha 01V/96
Old 05-14-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Any 6.7 RTAS RA or Collossus Users?

Hi Dubaifox - left you a comment over at the LE-forum...
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 05-15-2005, 01:36 AM

Thanks GW.

Still trolling for a PT 6.7-RTAS, Colossus or RA user.

This is harder than I thought it would be.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:31 AM

Not sure if it helps but I ran the Collossus demo (which is fully functional for about a week?) on HD 6.7, OSX 10.3.8 for about 3 days with no major problems. Didnt know the program well at all cuz I was a first time user, but I had about 3 instances up, switching between a bunch of presets, and it didnt have a terrible 'live playing' latency. No crashes either.
The only issue I noticed was when stopping playback, it would false trigger and spit out a midi note. So randomly Id hear a kick drum or piano note or something. Very minor issue IMO.
I was running it on a dual 2ghz G5. It seemed to slightly bog the computer down a bit here and there, but also, not anything unusable.
All else was well. Hope that helps. I think Ill purchase it when the demo runs out.
MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 05-15-2005, 07:45 AM

Thanks for that Everest. Sounds promising.

I am assuming that even though you have HD, it runs as an RTAS plug-in, not a TDM, correct?

Have you used any other EWQL/NI products and if so, is the performance similar or is there a noticeable improvement in the performance?
Old 05-15-2005, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that Everest. Sounds promising.

I am assuming that even though you have HD, it runs as an RTAS plug-in, not a TDM, correct?

Have you used any other EWQL/NI products and if so, is the performance similar or is there a noticeable improvement in the performance?
Yes, its running as an RTAS plug. I have also used Kontakt and feel the same way about it. For the most part it is very useable and decently stable. I only feel that these NI RTAS plugs arent written in the most optimised way. Whether its a PT thing or an NI thing, i dont know, but I feel that the cpu performance hit these plugs give is way more than it should be on a dual 2.0 G5. But I try to print the sounds Im using when possible so I can deactivate the plugin. if using one or two instances of each, things are ok. Above that things start to get a little choppy. BTW, collosus has a great collection of sounds. The only drag is the load-from-disk each preset has to take. The sounds arent RAM based but read of the HD each time you load a sound. So you really cant jump thru presets. its a good 5 to 10 seconds for each sound to load.

MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 05-17-2005, 04:26 AM

Are the NI plug's more stable as RTAS rather than TDM?

Also any differences using aux or audio for stability?

thanks

Rene