Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Avid Cloud Collaboration

Old 01-26-2015, 05:46 AM

Default Re: Yes to cloud collaboration!

Let's agree to stop this right here. I have already forwarded your question to Avid and I am also very interested to hear the answer.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Let's agree to stop this right here. I have already forwarded your question to Avid and I am also very interested to hear the answer.
Agreed. No rush. Time will tell anyway

Thanks for forwarding,

Frank.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:07 AM

Quote:
I know. Just that clearly Avid cannot reveal the whole spec, because that would mean it is not secure any longer
The opposite is considered closer to truth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_through_obscurity
Old 01-26-2015, 07:00 AM

You folks seem to have overlooked my post about virtually all of the major broadcast/television networks and post facilities in the world having been using Avid's cloud storage for years. I can assure you their lawyers and technologists made damned sure it was as secure as required before ever placing their first asset there. Avid is by no means some upstart cloud provider that still needs to figure out how to do security. http://www.avid.com/US/products/Interplay-MAM
Old 01-26-2015, 12:11 PM

Hello. One reason I am anxiously awaiting the rollout and the details of Avid's version of cloud collaboration is that it could actually be an ISDN replacement. Source Connect should have been this but it has just never been able to overtake ISDN in the US because of reliability. Audio wise it sounds better without a doubt, but it's just not reliable enough to work the way ISDN does day in and day out in the US.

I know some areas of Europe and Asia have phenomenal internet backbones and have been able to rely on Source Connect. Here in the US this is just simply not the case. Depending on where you are and who your ISP is, you may or may not be able to get a rock solid Source Connect system going. This is not the fault of Source Elements but just unreliable internet. By the way, keep in mind Source Connect needs live audio streaming which is what makes that part of it unreliable.

The thing is that ironically also here in the US the companies that provide ISDN service want very much to stop doing it and use those wires for other services. ATT regularly calls the studio I work at trying to get them to stop using their lines or threatens with even higher rates. The problem is there is just nothing else that can be relied on the way ISDN can be relied on.

Until now if this works as advertised. Because now we will be able to send and receive files through a peer to peer connection almost instantaneously. Not only that, they will show up in our Pro Tools timeline. Not only that, there is also a Skype like video/text chat tool that accompanies it. If this works as advertised, it could be THE thing to replace ISDN. And that could potentially be huge. For the work I do and people like myself in post, this could be as big as anything else they've rolled out.

Fingers crossed.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:18 PM

Yep, ISDN is guaranteed bandwidth. But get a fibre (SDP) and never worry about it in a lifetime :)
Old 01-27-2015, 04:11 AM

I installed many ISDN lines for business phone systems and data for years. It can be implemented as a PRI or BRI. The PRI is 24 channels, 23 of which are 64k B channels and the last a D channel which takes care of signaling, call setup, Calling number identification, etc. A BRI (basic rate interface) is 2-64k lines for bearer and one smaller channel for signaling. These, along with simple T-1 were the standard for a long time before packet switched services using TCP-IP, came along. They can be bonded together for video calls, etc. Not that anyone asked for this info, but maybe it will be useful to know later.

It's weird how many of the things we use in the music world started out in the telephony side of things. The "cloud" was just the phone company. We called it that for many many years because once the line left the building we had no way of knowing how it got to the far end. It could be analog copper, digital copper, T-1, T-3, microwave, fiber, or who knows what else. Voice and data started to combine and along came VOIP. Sorry for the rambling, unsolicited response. I started out wanting to make a lame joke about AVID being way ahead of us, and instead of giving us track freeze they would just freeze your whole damn computer. Ba doom boom.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Yep, ISDN is guaranteed bandwidth. But get a fibre (SDP) and never worry about it in a lifetime :)
In the U.S. Getting fiber to the home (or business) is in very specific metropolitan markets only. Typical scenario is fiber for the backbone then converted to copper or coax to the customer which is what most of us have but it is all down to how the ISP splits and shares it's bandwidth, and it's typically never in the customers favor!!

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 01-27-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
In the U.S. Getting fiber to the home (or business) is in very specific metropolitan markets only. Typical scenario is fiber for the backbone then converted to copper or coax to the customer which is what most of us have but it is all down to how the ISP splits and shares it's bandwidth, and it's typically never in the customers favor!!
For Verizon FIOS at least here it's fiber to the ONT (optical network terminal) that's at the customer's facility/home. It then goes coax to a T that connects to your router and TV. The phone connection uses the wire connection that already exists - they just unplug it from the old connection box and plug it into the ONT.

QAPLA!
Old 01-27-2015, 09:14 AM

I don't think any of the ISPs in Oklahoma have ever even heard of fiber optic service. We certainly do not have Verizon FiOS available. Believe me, I've checked. And according to the Verizon website, it's only available to 13 states anyway.

Right now I'm paying $75 a month for 512k/128k DSL service. And if I ever move or leave that house, the next tenants won't even be able to get any DSL service, only dial up for them. My telco basically said that the FCC yanked their broadband license because they weren't able to provide the level of service that they should have. I get to keep mine because I'm grandfathered in.

The only other solution out where I am is satellite internet. And that is an unrealistic proposition because of the lag time and data caps involved.

So, for now and maybe the next 10 years, cloud collaboration is a pipe dream. I may as well book a seat on a space ship to Mars for a weekend getaway.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One