Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 10-15-2014, 02:02 PM

Default A few questions

1st off what does DSP cashe do in the system usage windows and what's the point of it ??

And I noticed something today I was panning a guitar for a client when he wanted it to go from one side straight to the next so I created this in the pan edit window and there was a click when I played it back??? I then moved the 2 break points slightly so the change wasn't so instant and no click, can any one explain this, is it something that's ment to happen??

Thanks inadvance Raoul

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 10-15-2014, 11:58 PM

Default Re: A few questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
1st off what does DSP cashe do in the system usage windows and what's the point of it ??

And I noticed something today I was panning a guitar for a client when he wanted it to go from one side straight to the next so I created this in the pan edit window and there was a click when I played it back??? I then moved the 2 break points slightly so the change wasn't so instant and no click, can any one explain this, is it something that's ment to happen??

Thanks inadvance Raoul
Hi,

DSP cache... If you're loading a session with the same plugins as the session currently open it will keep those plugs cached (instead of purging all plugins and loading them all again) so sessions load faster as plugs stay loaded. If you're using identical sessions all day but different songs etc it's probably a good thing to have selected otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Note for those who haven't encountered it yet... It's part of the system usage window on the right hand side.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

DSP cache... If you're loading a session with the same plugins as the session currently open it will keep those plugs cached (instead of purging all plugins and loading them all again) so sessions load faster as plugs stay loaded. If you're using identical sessions all day but different songs etc it's probably a good thing to have selected otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Note for those who haven't encountered it yet... It's part of the system usage window on the right hand side.

Chris
Thanks Chris for chiming in, the reason why I ask this is because I constantly get a feedback loop/noise from revibe when I open and close alot of sessions in a day. So I thought if I turned it off it might drop revibe from the chip and then re allocate it so this issue doesn't happen. Is DSP cache still an issue like it was on pro tools 8HD

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 10-16-2014, 03:10 AM

I still tend to turn it off on a TDM system so it can reallocate nicely. Timesaver only. Off seems to be best.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccanears View Post
I still tend to turn it off on a TDM system so it can reallocate nicely. Timesaver only. Off seems to be best.
Yeah I think ill do that. Any advice on the pan issue I had, is it normal to do that ???