Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2004, 08:12 AM

Default QT/AVI file to AV Option OMF file

Simple question: Is there any possible way to convert any regular video media file (avi, quicktime, mpeg) into a video OMF file that ProTools 5.3.1 with AV Option can read and play back? I've tried a couple third party conversion softwares but ProTools refuses to import the OMF files they create.

I am under the impression that the only way to do this is with a full-blown Avid system. Will Avid Express work?

Sorry, I'm a little new to the video world, but I've been using ProTools for years.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:21 AM

Default Re: QT/AVI file to AV Option OMF file

Unfortuantely.. no. The only way, is to import the QT/AVI into an Avid and export as an OMF. Then use digitranslator to convert to useable PT/AV format. (unless you have Unity)

Or you could load the QT/AVI into any real time NLE and play it out into the AV Option inputs..

Both options are extremely tedious and not what you would expect for paying 8k for this particular system..

Macbook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo OS 10.9.5
ProTools 12.7.1.733
Mbox2 PT 10.2

Scott Whittier
Whittier Creative
http://www.madmix.com/
www.voice123.com/scottwhittier
Old 02-25-2004, 03:04 PM

Yeah... this is a real bone-head part of this option. For such an "open" system, to be so closed in this one manner is shameful.

Bad Digidesign! Bad! Tsk. Tsk.

Brad McIlvaine
Senior Mixer/Designer
Henninger Media Services
Washington, DC 20036
Washington, DC 20036
Old 02-26-2004, 12:35 PM

You can do this.
I assume you are using AVOPTION XL since you are on 5.3.1HD. You can convert QT to JFIF ( and ABVB for AVOPTION)...and jfif to QT with Gallery's MEDIAMUNGER. (list 599)

http://www.gallery.co.uk/mediamunger.html

VERY COOL!

ROB
Old 02-26-2004, 02:31 PM

This is copied from another post by gallery in response to a very similar question about two weeks ago.

Quote:

In fact, its not that simple.....

AVOption XL cannot read 'standard' OMF files. It also does not write 'standard' OMF files.

By 'standard' we mean files which are compatible with the official OMF toolkit published by Avid and the OMF association.

Hence, I am afraid there is no compatibility between AVOptionXL and MediaMunger.

We have asked Digidesign to help resolve this, although they have politely declined the opportunity to offer a QT compatibility option to AVXL owners. We would certainly like to follow up on this if there is a change of heart on Digi's part.

I believe AV10 will offer this functionality and be available as an upgrade to AVXL users....

Alternatively, to resolve your dilemma, you could consider using a system which natively supports QuickTime, and also QT-wrapped OMF files in one box and is available now. http://www.virtualvtr.com

MediaMunger is however, an excellent solution for users getting OMF video from Media Composer and Film Composers, both which write files compatible with the OMF toolkit. Likewise, MediaMunger creates files which can be read by Media Composer and Film Composer.

Old 03-01-2004, 11:39 AM

I just wanted to clarify this...

Is it not possible for Avid Express to export OMFI video files that ProTools with AVOption XL can read?

Also (please excuse my ignorance with the newness of our system), our facility actually has an Avid Unity system, and we use it to share sessions between rooms using centrally located drives, but I was under the impression that this is all it is used for. I was not aware of any extra video conversion options.

My ignorance of Unity has a lot to do with our tech department not being very forthcoming when it comes to explaining the inner workings of Unity to the operators, and they tend to maintain it tightly without allowing anyone else administrative access. It's understandable, however.