Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2003, 07:12 PM

Default The 002-Rack buzz, who\'s going laptop?

Just curious to see if anyone else is excited about streamlining their setup as I am? I see a few people are considering buying the 002R but no mention of going portable, implying that the tower will still be used. That's cool too, of course, but wouldn't this 002R appeal mostly to those who've been wanting a laptop for a while (and who wanted a bit more than an Mbox)?

I think I'll be selling my QS-G4 next month, perhaps get a TiBook, we'll see what the new 15" has to offer in a few weeks. I'm psyched!
Old 06-04-2003, 07:35 PM

Default Re: The 002-Rack buzz, who\'s going laptop?

I ordered a 002 rack right away, but I am still pondering on the question of "which Mac should I go for?". I am waiting too after July's expo, but laptop seems more and more interesting to me.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:37 PM

Oh my, I just checked out the American Musical Supply site, sure enough, they have it in stock, with that stellar payment plan of theirs, and my Visa card all of a sudden is talking to me with the devil's tone, pointing it's pitchfork at me.... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

But wisdom shall prevail, I'll hold off for a little longer, maybe after the G4 and Digi0001 are gone and the new laptop is in. I'm itchin' with anticipation....
Old 06-04-2003, 11:53 PM

Hey pk...........I know im going to sound like a salesman oh well........GC has them right now and they are supposed to have the first couple of major shipments of these from DD. Also if you're wondering about payment stuff, and if you're wanting to use credit GC has special monthly deals like 18 months no finance or payments all the time. I don't know what else everyone else does but Im just giving you a heads up.

Again...........I sound like a GC @$$ i know but too bad im just letting you know if it helps you or anyone else out!...............k ill shut up now hahahah
Old 06-05-2003, 08:58 AM

Go laptop, guys! I´m serious... I´ll never buy a tower again, and it´s just an iBook the machine that won me over. I hope my next laptop will be a PowerBook, hopefully with a 970 processor in it. Until next year, I guess! Anyway, laptops are a very good choice now, and things will just get better. Imagine taking your setup to a church or a small concert room with great acoustics to record your music, with not big equipmnet to drag around.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:10 AM

I'll stick with the tower for now...the slowest tower is as fast as the fastest laptop, price difference is pretty significant...I don't see any reason to go with a laptop if you don't need to go portable (which I don't)...

-Duardo
Old 06-05-2003, 09:29 AM

I totally agree!
The time they start making laptops with dual processors I start thinking about a laptop.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:35 AM

i've been using my 002 with an old 500mhz/ibook and it works fine (slow screen redraws though).

I just got a 17" powerbook though and am waiting for the OSX 002 software to arrive...........
Old 06-05-2003, 03:56 PM

I sold my tower about 6 months ago and haven't missed it. There are times where I feel the CPU is holding me back, but I get around that by doing a lot of audiosuite file processing and minimizing the RTAS. All-in-all, my rig is pretty peppy!
High Rock Records & Studio
NYC

http://highrockrecords.com