Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2015, 11:14 AM

Default Latency when tracking to Aux track??

Just switched to HD Native from HD2 TDM. I've always liked to track guitars to the Aux Guitar Bus where my chain of Analog Inserts & Plugs are applied so I can hear a more REAL representation of how the guitar will sit in the mix and so I can make adjustments accordingly.
When I try this in my new HD Native system I get a TON of latency. Why is this and is there a fix?
Luckily I can apply inserts on the Guitar trk I'm recording with no noticable latency, but prefer to go to the Aux where the other guitars are as well.
I can't find Delay Compensation settings...Do I need to turn that on?
Hopefully this latency issue can be fixed, any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Rich
Old 03-15-2015, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Latency when tracking to Aux track??

Pro Tools version? (11 has seperate input sample buffer)

IO buffer size? That ultimately explains the source of your latency.

What exactly is the signal flow of the guitar? In (through the IO buffer), you mean analog insets as in actual analog outboard gear or what?, out to an interface output (through another io buffer -- or are you using hardware inserts in your DI/preamp?) then back in through yet another input (and the iO buffer again) and then what software plugins (which may or may not have delay?)?

Delay compensation is not going to help you if it is real time latency you are trying to reduce.

I am not sure I follow why you want to use an Aux, you are using that to bus some guitars together? You can do the same off an audio track. You just don't want to record the unprocessed guitar?

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 03-15-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:51 AM

I suspect that rcd may want to print the guitar with the plugin processing(handy if you track several guitars so you don't load down the cpu with a dozen amp sim plugins). You could try disabling ADC(sometimes its not as smart as it should be). or record with the plugin on the audio track, then render it(off-line bounce, or Audiosuite processing)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-17-2015, 11:03 AM

You mean only actually track the dry guitar and a send to an aux is just so you can hear it wet? Maybe... but still why not just record them both? Certainly printing any tracks with heavy plugin/amp sim plugs etc. makes sense. Maybe I am totally not getting something.

I'm not sure the actual routing/bussing used here is clear. But certainly you can burn yourself say with ADC nudging things when going through an aux, make sure to try with that off.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:35 PM

I suspect we may have scared the OP off, and I still don't understand the actual routing here, and we don't know the IO buffer size, or what plugins (and therefore possible plugin latency) are being used, if delay compensation being used used or not, etc.... But as Dave mentioned earlier this is possibly a delay compensation issue and the first debug step is to just try disabling delay compensation (to do that globally uncheck Options > Delay Compensation).

Delay compensation behavior of Aux's is not simple. Maybe its trying to be too smart. Anyhow I just found *that* thread from the past, if you want to understand Aux delay behavior read this. http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=297973&page=14 (explanation post from DTS on that page). There will be a test later.

If that ain't it we need all that other info to actually help.