Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-24-2003, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Best Laptops for PTLE

Quote:
Quote:
Looks like this thread is cooking with great info. Way to keep it going guys and look forward to your results Executivos and Shan. Now I might start building DAW systems if I can find a great laptop combo. That would be a no brainer. LOL

Allen
Well Allen, after I built a couple Allensteins word got around. Next thing you know people are calling me to build ther PC Digi systems. This was never my intention but its extra income now. Just dont ask for a percent of my fee Allen People just want to bring it home, plug it in and record. Thats the way it should be. Just to let you know, the first two Allenstein machines are flawless and stable. The clients are very happy. Now I have to get this laptop going for my new client. I'll keep you posted.

Shan
I'm glad I'm making someone prosperous out there. Enjoy it Shan!
LOL
Allen
Old 09-24-2003, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the help guys. It looks like the 002r is defective. It makes a constant clicking sound. I've built 4 002r systems for clients and usually I hear 2 clicking sounds on power up. The Digi is auto-power selecting when it does this so that we can use it in any country(cool). After that the Sample Rate LED
and Monitor Mute switch illuminate to indicate
the unit is on. This doesnt occur. It just clicks non stop. I'm picking up a new one today. I'll keep you guys posted.

Shan
My digi 002r just started doing that 2 days ago. OF COURSE I will mention I was 2 minutes away from bouncing the last song of a project to disk and it was 3am. Still can't get it to come up...it just clicks.

This is no good, now I guess I'm going to have to send it back to digi.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:05 AM

executivos, you probably have to get it repaired. My client has to send his to Digi but the music store he purchased it from gave him one to use until his gets repaired. He just had to jump up and down and shout a bit So far the Acer is great. I'll post my results soon.

Shan

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 09-25-2003, 12:11 AM

Quote:
executivos, you probably have to get it repaired. My client has to send his to Digi but the music store he purchased it from gave him one to use until his gets repaired. He just had to jump up and down and shout a bit So far the Acer is great. I'll post my results soon.

Shan
I bought mine from mf so I don't think they'll be sending a loaner

It's actually ok. Ironically that project I was trying to finish was the last one for a while because I just moved. I actually packed up my studio when it broke. I'm in a new place and the studio is in boxes. When my notebook gets here I'm planning on getting an mbox so if I need to mix anything I can use that.

Hey----anybody know about using the mbox and digi 002r on the same computer? Basically I have my desktop and a digi002r and then a notebook and an mbox coming in very soon. Will I be able to switch them around easily?

for example track drums on my digi002r system somewhere on the notebook and then plug in the mbox to edit/mix/overdub?? will it simply find the other device or is protools going to give me problems?
Old 09-25-2003, 09:23 AM

As far as know it wont work. I read a post in the past of a user trying to do this. Maybe try adding another account in XP. Your first one call it 002 and the second call it Mbox. When you log on to your computer you just pick which one you want to use. Or you can have a dual boot system with 2 Xps in it. I would try the dual login at first. Let us know how you make out.

Shan

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 09-25-2003, 11:11 AM

I asked about this in another thread because i am going to be in the same situation exec, I will have my desktop and a notebook, and a 002r and an mbox and want to be able to swap around pretty easily. From my understanding it will work, you just can only have one hooked up at a time. I believe as of 6.1.1 all hardware uses the same version of the software, so the drivers should be there.

However I dont know this for sure, but I would like to hear how you fair when you get everything up and running.

On another note, I stumbled across this
http://www.amdboard.com/athlon64_arima_a520k8.html

The first 64bit notebook, funny thing is it has no battery, so really its just a small desktop. The point is however soon more will come, I cant wait to see more, and maybe even get my hands on one and hear about someone running a davec on that.

Also I found out the Microsoft will soon be releasing a version of XP for the 64 bit athlon systems. They have a 64bit version for the intel chips but apparently because the architechture is so different each requires a special version. Which mean maybe PT 6.3.1, or even PT 7 will be 64 bit to handle the G5's and the PC 64 bit chips.. At that point they should increase the track count for us native usersm to like 48 or something....man the future is so much fun....wonder what they will doo with the 003.

I know i am thinking really far ahead, but I cant help but get excited about gear.....
Old 09-25-2003, 06:03 PM

[/QUOTE]

My digi 002r just started doing that 2 days ago. OF COURSE I will mention I was 2 minutes away from bouncing the last song of a project to disk and it was 3am. Still can't get it to come up...it just clicks.

This is no good, now I guess I'm going to have to send it back to digi.

[/QUOTE]

This is a hardware defect withh the 002r. Digi is very aware of this. You can either send it back to Digi to get it repaired or they will send you the parts and instructions to repair it yourself. It has something to do with the wrong wire guage inside. My client is getting the part sent to him.

Shan

Old 09-26-2003, 04:16 PM

Well boys, here are my ACER results:

Acer 660 series Notebook
Centrino 1.5
40GB Drive (Toshiba MK4021GAS)
512MB Ram
XPsp1a Tweaked right out to the max.

Davec results: H/W Buffer Size-128, DAE Playback Buffer-Level 2, gave me an incredible 32+15!!! And that's to the internal drive!! Amazing!! My classic Allenstein gets 32+16. Now if I did this to an external Firewire audio drive @ 7200rpm I'd get a few more tracks. Might also be able to get some more juice out of this system using a separate Firewire pc card in the slot instead of the built in one. The internal firewire is on IRQ10 with 4 other devices. Anyways, I'm impressed. Wow!! The Centrino rocks! We need to make this the new Allenstein Laptop

Shan

Addendum: I just did the Davec test on an external Lacie Firewire 120GB drive and got 32+16!!! Amazing!!! I'm going to allocate the tracks between the internal drive and external to try and increase track count. I'll keep you posted.

Shan

Old 09-26-2003, 04:46 PM

Well....i may just end up selling my 32+4 desktop.....
Old 09-26-2003, 05:40 PM

It sure looks the Intel Centrino is the best for a laptop with PTLE right now. Great!!!

Greets,
Pieter