Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > System 5

Old 01-23-2011, 07:54 AM

Default Re: Euphonix 5-MC user feedbacks

I had a very impressive demo of the 5MC the other day. The PT9 feature set it amazing. One big request I had was that there are still no dedicated buttons for Preview, Punch Preview, Capture, etc. That is pretty important for a desk of this scale. Other than that, pretty awesome! Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:12 AM

I also installed a 5-MC in our smaller post room. The main room has a S5. As we mainly use Nuendo, I haven't yet installed the latest software for PT9 on the 5-MC. But as a controller it's just such a powerful beast!
The S5 is working fine with PT9, the more so since eMix v5.

The studio FB page
Old 02-05-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
One big request I had was that there are still no dedicated buttons for Preview, Punch Preview, Capture, etc.
I agree, but I am confident this will be address in a future update. In the meantime, those features can easily be added with QuicKeys 4 and assign on any soft buttons of your choice.
http://immersivesoundvr.com/
Old 02-25-2011, 03:49 AM

I hadn't thought of QuickKeys for the Preview commands. But then with the assignability of the MC-Pro it's a real shame the ProTools commands were put together a bit "quickly", and thus some things are missing.
We finally got round to setting up PT9 permanently in the B studio, so PT can talk to the MC!

What I hope will come in the near future:
- dedicated Eucon commands for stuff like Preview (with punch suspend et al), but also for global automation mode changes (ie. all faders to Touch or Write).
- Graphic view of the EQ on the 408 display, at least for the internal Digi EQ (I realise it can be complicated for 3rd party stuff).
- Graphic view of the compressor (see above).
- Ability to create a S5MC layout that features strips from two different workstations (ie. strips 1-8 = Nuendo, 9-16 = PT etc). For the moment you can only assign tracks from the selected workstation, and you have to toggle from one to the other to see the faders.

Otherwise we are really loving the S5-MC.

The studio FB page
Old 02-25-2011, 09:50 AM

Steven,

I agree. Some features are a must, like:

1-Preview, Punch Preview, Capture, Punch Capture, Auto match, Auto Join.

2-Custom Plug-ins maps.

3-The EQ and dynamic curves graphs would be great since it is already been
done in logic.

Also some improvements on the system 5-MC should be done:

When recalling a track layout, the hidden tracks are not recalled. It means you 're force to work in "show all tracks" mode to make sure no track are missing in your recalled layout. The track layout mode should recall all tracks EVEN if they are hidden.

Also, Direct Assigned tracks (saved as a layout or not) do not move when the Nudge, Bank, and Home keys are pressed. This is the same behaviour as nudging or banking around a custom fader group with the Icon. It is the logical way to work but I would like to see a preferences setting in the system 5-MC, something like "Unlock direct assigned tracks while banking or nudging" so you have the option to bank or nudge the direct assigned tracks if needed. The System 5 MC is all about flexibility so this feature would be more than welcome.

Anybody else with wishes?
Old 04-28-2011, 02:51 AM

I Agree that Quickkeys is essential at the moment. Automatch and goBack would be great as Eucon keys! but as phase one it is a great improvement over HUI.... I'd really like to see the ability to copy parameters (EQs Pans) from the surface.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:47 AM

I upgraded from Pro-tools 9.0.1 to 9.0.3 last week and there is some nice improvements with the "edit wheel". I use a lot the "move selection" eucon command (with no selection) to move the playback head where I want to spot my sfx. In PT 9.0.1 every time I initiated "play" with the transport I would have to press the "move selection" soft key again to assign the command to the wheel again. With 9.0.3 you don't have to do this anymore. I know it doesn't mean much for some users but for me that means not pressing the "move selection" command soft key 300 to 400 times a day...

I am not sure if the "zoom horizontal" was working in PT 9.0.1 but now it works the same way. You can assign you edit wheel for "zooming horizontal", "zooming amplitude" or whatever and it will stay assigned until you decide to do something else with your wheel.

Avid has also fix the "mark out" command so it follows the video.(This should work using any controller).

What I would like to see is the "customized wheel" feature Euphonix has implemented in the artist series. Which allow you to customize the wheel to do almost anything like a working "move selection" (without having to cut, move and paste), slip audio within a region, trim head, tail and more.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The golfer View Post
What I would like to see is the "customized wheel" feature Euphonix has implemented in the artist series. Which allow you to customize the wheel to do almost anything like a working "move selection" (without having to cut, move and paste), slip audio within a region, trim head, tail and more.
You can't do that with the System 5MC ??

I only own a transport and slipping and trimming is about all I use it for in PT.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:30 PM

No we can't do that with a system 5 MC yet. But we can copy and paste "soft keys".

v2.5.6 is the first eucon update that works with pro-tools. I am confident the next update will include many missing features.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:03 PM

Can you do customized wheel stuff in Nuendo? I remember seeing this in a video for the MC pro a few years ago, figured that was standard issue.

Or is this just Avid dragging their feet with protools so they can sell a few more icons lol..