Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2003, 07:13 AM

Default Digi 002 Rack Problem - bad units??

I've now had 2 Digi 002 Rack units fail on me. The first came DOA where the unit would click and cick never actually starting up after being turned on (it never showed the sample light or was accessible via firwire). My dealer was great and swapped it out a day later.

The second unit appeared seemed to work fine, however, after only 7 weeks of having it (with very minimal use, that unit now goes into a similar state - mute light on, clicking, and never actually reads a sample rate or is readable by the software. Everything on the 2 systems I've connected it to is working correctly and this unit did work with this unit prior to this new found 'feature' of not kicking on. My dealer will check into with the reps, but this is crazy.

This is a major bummer, as it is now making me think that perhaps a run of units had a problem. I have no power issues as I everything else runs fine, computers etc have been running for years.

Maybe I should have followed my instincts of waiting to buy that first model year car... and let the production/assembly/engineering faults get tweaked before purchasing. It's just that we've been waiting for the promise land for so long...

Has anyone else run into this type of problem????
Old 10-21-2003, 09:26 AM

Default Re: Digi 002 Rack Problem - bad units??

change the power harness. This is the only fix. Many ( if not all) 002R suffer from a defective harness. Digi Tech will overnite you a new one. Easy to rep[lace but pay attention to how the connectors are installed. Install one connector at a time.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 10-21-2003, 12:41 PM

Try taking the harness completely out and put it back in and make sure the connectors are fully seated. I had the same problem you did TWICE! My 3rd unit arrived and worked a total of 2 DAYS. I called Digi and they sent me a new harness. I opened up the unit after I called them and took the old harness out. I don't know what made me do it but I put the same harness in 20 minutes later, making sure all connectors were properly seated. It works flawlessly. Try it! It might cure the problem. The harness must get jarred loose in shipping, I guess. Mind you, there are A LOT of bogus harnesses out there. The old harness has the wires entering the side of the connector and the wires don't seem to be very secure in the plastic lug. The new ones have the wires entering the top of the lug and are much more secure.

PS If your unit has the old harness, get DIGI on the phone and they will over-night you one. Hope this helps!
Old 10-21-2003, 12:45 PM

Hi Jeff
Although I use a Mac, I experienced the exact same problem. Called Digi tech support, they shipped me a new unit (complete 002R) the next day via FedEx. Apparently it's a known problem, so there's no hassle at all. Get on the phone!!!

Good luck,

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 10-22-2003, 01:35 PM

Hey Guys,
I'm sure glad I haven't had that problem with my unit. I have a Digi002r and haven't had any big problems with it at least so far anyway. I didn't have the bounce to disk problem before I upgraded to 6.1.1 from 6.1 (i'm a new ProTools user)though I did get it after. Since then I've un-installed the latest version and went back to 6.1 and haven't had any problems in a couple of days.

When I did get the bounce to disk problem saying it couldn't keep up I removed some plug-ins and it didn't have any problems. I also changed some of the settings like the buffers and such, maybe that had something to do with it also. Just some suggestions that I tried. Hope everything works out for the best with everyones units that are acting up. I'm on PC too by the way.

later
sonicpaint
Old 10-24-2003, 05:11 PM

i had my second 002R start doing the click thingy yesterday and opened it up and reset the power harness as anakinskye suggested and it works again. thanks for the advice! it apparently is one of the new harness, by the way. so they're not invinsible either.