Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2000, 07:15 AM

Default Quicktime/dc3o

does anyone know if the output of the dc3o can be taken from the card itself and pumped into a tv or does the picture have to go to a computer monitor (inside of pro tools, of course).

i've always used a computer monitor and now want to use my tv set to monitor picture. if so what do i need to do???????

thanks
Old 10-12-2000, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Quicktime/dc3o

skeeker,
Your DC30 has both composite and svideo out. If you have a TV that has a composite (the single wire with an RCA plug) input...as most newer sets do..you can simply run that cable from the DC 30 composite out..to the composite in of the TV. Same thing for svideo cable..which has better resolution.

Youll need to check your manual on how to setup the software. Probably, there is simply a selector on which output to use.

The one caveat is..that not all of these types of cards have outputs active all the time. Which means..it might only output when it is in "record mode" etc. But, I beleive that the DC30 has this ability.

I use the fuse card..and all of its outputs are active all the time..so you can use any of them. Its probably just going to be a settings thing for you..so check your manual. There are probably diagrams on how to set this up.

To answer your question directly...you only have to connect your TV to the output on your DC30 and switch on any preferences in the driver/software that came with it..to view out on TV. The output doesn't care..whether its going out to VCR or TV . All youll need is a TV with composite and or Svideo in and out.

If you are recording to VCR..then.run the composite or Svideo out on your DC30 to the composite or Svideo IN on the VCR..then..run the composite or Svideo Out of the VCR to your monitor.

This will "monitor" the VCR..in otherwords..youll be seeing what your recording to the VCR. Placing the monitor in between the computer and VCR..would mean you are monitoring the computer..instead of whats going out to the VCR. If you are going to tape..you want to monitor it on the back end so you can see whats going to tape.

Finally, you will notice that there are these special NTSC montiors that are quite expensive. These monitors are more accurate than a standard TV you buy for home. They can be calibrated for NTSC color..and are a more accurate way of monitoring while going out to tape.

They are not needed however..just to monitor your output. Any tv with the appropriate connectors will do.

dcornutt
Old 10-13-2000, 08:45 AM

Your video will look better on the NTSC monitor.
-COCO
Old 10-17-2000, 05:49 PM

i guess that it's a lesson to all of us to NEVER trust any cable. as it were, i had a funky rca cable that led me to think that the card was all bad. NOPE. all is well. it works as advertised.

i'm trying now to use final cut pro with machine control as my digitizer. it seems to me that it is a much more reliable solution that freewheeling in premiere.

i'll let you all know how it works. i'm trying to get it all running like the capture tool in the audiovision. at least this way i can have a real mark in on my video and i won't have to slip video anymore.

thanks for the help.
skeezer
Old 10-17-2000, 06:05 PM

Hi Skeezer,

I made up a cable that was RCA and phono's on one end for the DC30 and a Scart on the other for the TV. Never had any problems.

Greg
Old 10-18-2000, 10:52 PM

i just built a pair that run off of the card onto my patch bay.

perfect working arrangement

thanks all
Old 10-21-2000, 07:47 AM

how can i convert video that is native quicktime to the miro codec (miro jpeg a) so that i can view it thru the card to a monitor?

i do alot of work with people in europe and they email me a quicktime that i view on my mac monitor. now, i want to use the card to see it on my lcd/tv monitor.

by the way: everfocus, makes a kickass 5.5 lcd monitor that i swear by. i use it in my VO booth and as my video monitor on my desktop. it is way too cool.
Old 10-21-2000, 01:54 PM

Skeezer,

Sounds like it's way too small - It sure does sound cool, but how do you check lip sync (and see finer points in the background for spotting to) on such a small monitor.

Still, video importance may differ with the work you're doing.

Oh, as for the changing codec - I've never done it with mine, a DC-20, (the re-compression makes for an even worse quality picture and takes ages to compute). In Premiere you have the option to "Save As" - and I think with that you can change the codec (might need to change settings elsewhere in the program?). Or, get hold off Media Cleaner Pro - this does it (and a whole bunch more) and makes it easier to do, and understand (think it even does batch processing).

I've found it's quicker (and better) to get a video and capture it yourself.

If you're getting things from Europe don't forget the different frame rate over there.
Old 10-21-2000, 03:34 PM

Hey Skeez,
Upgrade your Quicktime to QT "PRO".
It costs 29 bucks from Apple. (you can do this online).

From there..just export movie..and choose your Miro codec and other options.

You can also do this in Premiere.
Setup a Premiere Project..with the settings for your Miro card. Import the QT movie. You may have to use the "interperate footage" if its a diff frame rate (check the manual on this).

The problem would be..if the movie is PAL..I think its 25 frames per second..as opposed to the 29.97 or 30fps that your NTSC miro uses. Without interpolation...what would happen..is that the movie would run "faster"..ie..25fps played at 30fps.

This would cause timing problems if you were trying to spot audio too it.

But, anyway..from here..after you get it in to premiere..choose "export movie" and toggle thru the settings (they can be different than the project settings..so check all of them). Choose your Miro codec, frame rate..data rate..resolution..etc..then just hit export.

That should do it.

dcornutt