Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2000, 05:22 PM

Default Re: I invite Pro Tools users to use ProControl studio but most of them use Logic?????????

Not really.

There are no prizes for pointing out facts here, the point was and still is this - how do ProControl owners ease Logic users into being happy with the system, (go read the starting post) I was looking for tips, not descriptions of products..., I HAVE ONE ALREADY!

Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 12-01-2000, 10:50 PM

Default Re: I invite Pro Tools users to use ProControl studio but most of them use Logic?????????

Greg,

We have three ProControls too and know what they do.
I also know that Logic uses the same hardware for audio
because Digidesign have made that available in a SDK.
They are not releasing a SDK for the ProControl AFAIK.
I would still hope that either manufacturer is not done with their
products and PT 5 will not be end of the line.
Development continues last time I checked..

Yes, I have hoped that Emagic will rewrite their engine to use
a deeper subset of features, including the resolution
for automation that you speak of.
But then Digi needs to publish the SDK.

the Digidesign / Emagic saga is a mystery to me and neither
company comments in a meaningful way of what is going on.

You may consider this a little lobbying, just like most
of us do from time to time, hoping that a great product
will still get greater.
And that means DIgi colaborating with their development
partners like they did in the past.
I'll shut up now...

j
Old 12-02-2000, 09:36 AM

Default Post deleted by Digidesign

Old 12-02-2000, 10:58 AM

Hi Jules,

Sorry, your thread seems a bit hijacked.

<< how do ProControl owners ease Logic users into being happy with the system >>

Sync Logic to PT and let them use Logic to write and arrange their songs, then use the ProControl/PT to mix. In fact much the same as they would if they were using Logic with say a D8B. Your selling point is that a PC/PT + Logic is a much better quality system than writing/arranging/mixing all within Logic.

Greg
Old 12-02-2000, 04:31 PM

So,

These "open up the Procontrol" threads tend to end up
with less than useful stuff like this.
Apples and oranges...get thrown....
It's a good and valid question IMHO that Jules asked.
Ah well, Digi did not respond this time either...;-9)

regards
j

oh...and even though it's more expensive than a Ferrari...Rolls Royce does make a station wagon
if you pay for it...thru the nose...

Old 12-03-2000, 12:33 AM

Hi Tightbeats,

<< It doesn't matter how you get information into the computer or what format it is in, software converters can be written to convert it to the midi spec which PT's obviously can understand. >>

This idea of a conversion program works for say faders and pans although of course the resolution would have to be drastically reduced. But what happens with loads of other features, say surround mixing for example. How do you convert from PT to MIDI spec when the MIDI spec doesn't include provision for surround. In fact there are very few features of the MIDI spec designed for mixing. MIDI was originally designed for the control of MIDI instruments (synths, etc.) and their very poor internal mixing features.

Mackie's HUI already controls all the features available via MIDI. What is the point of Digi bringing out a ProControl (PC) that can be can be controlled by MIDI? Used via MIDI the PC could not provide hardly any additional features to the HUI. So what you are left with is a Digi PC that has the same resolution and features as a Mackie HUI but for 5 times the price. Sounds like a bargain to me

<< With the Sony DMX-R100 you can at least control transport, can you do that with a ProControl and Logic? >>

There are two ways of doing this with PC/PT: MMC (MIDI Machine Control) or using OMS to sync Logic to PT.

<< "Why not complain to AMS/Neve, SSL or Euphonix that their control surfaces can't be used from within Logic." ... If I could afford one of their products I would. >>

And they would laugh at you... Actually I quite like the idea: A Neve Capricorn HUI; All the features of a MIDI controller in a fantastic looking desk for only $700,000! While we're at it, why don't we ask Ferrari to turn their Marinello model into a station wagon?

Greg
Old 12-03-2000, 10:33 AM

Default Post deleted by Digidesign

Old 12-03-2000, 07:46 PM

Tightbeats,

If you're considering Pro Tools/ProControl, you're obviously serious about your investment. I'm curious why you think that Digi "shutting out Logic" for PC would affect your decision. If you're going to be spending the cash, you must be more than a hobbyist and are doing this to make a living. Pro Tools software will go a very long way to getting clients and being able to exchange sessions. With this in mind, I'd recommend you go with the PT/PC combo, and learn PT software so you can mix with it on Pro Control. BUT this doesn't mean you have to stop using Logic. You can continue to do what you do with it with a keyboard and mouse and switch back to PT when you need to.

The bummer is you wouldn't have a control surface with Logic. I understand that. But I think you'll find that if you try PT software, you'll dig it and you'll actually start WANTING to use it to mix becuase of the better automation and audio handling. And as a benefit, you'll also be able to use Logic when you want to.
Old 12-04-2000, 03:31 AM

<< I know that it is an easy problem for Digi to solve but for whatever reason they will not. >>

Oh well... If you still think this I've obviously been wasting my time posting to this thread. Can't complain though, I thought I would probably be wasting my time when I started.

Greg
Old 12-04-2000, 03:21 PM

Yes,

Its' hard when people don't just agree with you is it not...;-)

Sure would be helpful if someone from Digi could just step
in and kill this thread with a definite "no we will not do this"..

Until the large woman chants, some of us will keep hoping...

thanx
j