How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2012, 02:20 PM

Default 2.6.2 vs 2.6.1

Hi,

I've had an Avid Artist Control v2 on test drive for a couple of days but it's running 2.6.1 software & firmware. As it's on evaluation I am unable to register to upgrade the firmware & software - I'm running PT10.2.

I just wondered how much of a difference there is between Eucon 2.6.1 & 2.6.2 as to be quite frank I'm quite disappointed in what the Artist Control offers me as it stands.

All the videos I've seen have fantastic mapping options which I'm led to believe are default for the wheel to enable editing without using the mouse, but in 2.6.1 non of these exist. I've started to program them but in the short space of time I have with the unit I'm just wondering if the 2.6.2 update provides the template I've seen in the videos? The last video uploaded by Avid (4 months ago) clearly shows an app set running in PT9 rather than 10 though so overall I'm a bit confused as to what the default appset should contain in 2.6.2 for PT 10.2!

As an aside, in the Wiindows version I also have no icons showing on the softkeys although the commands in Eucon do say Text & Icon - prolly a Windows thing but it still adds to the feeling something just isn't right with 2.6.1 on Pt10. The icons themselves are installed, just not selected within Eucontrol for the softkeys.

As for the touchscreen itself, to be honest it doesn't do an awful lot more than I can do with my keyboard shortcuts although again, with programming, being able to hit one button to create a number of pre defined custom tracks rather than using the usual window method etc. is a great time saver. The tracks view (when combined with a Mix too) is a feature I do like however (being able to create custom layouts even on the 4 Control faders is pretty neat).

So, overall I'm wondering if it's worth biting the bullet & hoping 2.6.2 is a significant improvement over 2.6.1 on Windows using PT10.2. Any insight would be most welcome (ASAP!)

Shifting Sands Audio
www.shiftingsandsaudio.com
soundcloud.com/shiftingsands

Asus X79 Deluxe | i7 4930K @ 4.1 | 32Gb Ripjaws CL9 GBLZ | Radeon R5 230 | Win7 Pro (64) | 256Gb Samsung 850 SSD | 2x 1Tb Seagate SATA | 250Gb Samsung EVO SSD | 128 Samsung SSD | Antec 650W | ProTools 11.3.2HD, 10.3.9HD, 12.5 | Cubase 9.0.20 Pro | Nuendo 8 | Studio One 3.2 Pro | RME UFX | 2x Octopre Mkii Dynamic | Alphatrack | DTouch | Logitech G510 | Kensington Trackball | Yamaha UX256
Old 07-27-2012, 04:51 AM

Default Re: 2.6.2 vs 2.6.1

Hey Chaz,
If you are using Pro Tools 10, then you definitely need 2.6.2 The app set for 10 is included in that download. I'm actually surprised that you got anything on the touchscreen at all.

Speak to your dealer to get the username and password to download the software. If they don't have one, tell them to get it from Avid. Unless you have the updated software, you cannot give it a proper evaluation... If it was the Mix, you'd be fine, but the Control is where the 500 EUCON commands in PT 10 become useful.

Good luck!
D
Old 07-27-2012, 06:31 AM

Default Re: 2.6.2 vs 2.6.1

Thx for the reply.

I spoke to my dealer (again) this morning after I posted & was told that 'someone at Avid' had said I had pretty much the same controls as I'd have in 2.6.2. I really couldn't be bothered to argue the toss anymore as I'd requested a way to upgrade the firmware twice already and wasn't getting anywhere. Take your pick as to the dealer or Avid being at fault. Either way I wasn't getting the updated software.

I persevered for another couple of hours but took the unit back last thing this evening after a couple of crashes (not surprising by the sound of your description!) of PT when trying to assign an output via the Control in a session. I did manage to program the wheel to do some of the editing functions but it was no quicker than using the keyboard shortcuts though I guess it's a different way of working and eventually once you knew the unit you could do two handed editing on the unit itself & ditch the kbd & mouse - which is the whole point. I did feel that assigning plug ins/in-out assignments via the unit was a real PITA over using the mouse though.

Thoroughly disappointed as I really wanted to like the unit from everything I'd seen on YouTube & read on here (apart from all the disconnect posts although the connection was solid on my test). Shame.

Shifting Sands Audio
www.shiftingsandsaudio.com
soundcloud.com/shiftingsands

Asus X79 Deluxe | i7 4930K @ 4.1 | 32Gb Ripjaws CL9 GBLZ | Radeon R5 230 | Win7 Pro (64) | 256Gb Samsung 850 SSD | 2x 1Tb Seagate SATA | 250Gb Samsung EVO SSD | 128 Samsung SSD | Antec 650W | ProTools 11.3.2HD, 10.3.9HD, 12.5 | Cubase 9.0.20 Pro | Nuendo 8 | Studio One 3.2 Pro | RME UFX | 2x Octopre Mkii Dynamic | Alphatrack | DTouch | Logitech G510 | Kensington Trackball | Yamaha UX256