Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2010, 05:44 PM

Default String Quartet recommendation (cello, violins, viola)

Hey guys,
So I'm using Protools LE 8.03 on a Mac. Although I've been recording for a while, I am fairly new to the virtual instrument aspect.

I was just wondering if you guys had a recommendation for patches or software for instruments in a string quartet (cello, violin, and maybe even viola). I've done a lot of research but I can come across is expensive bundle software with like 500 different instruments.

I am looking for that percussive bow sound. Much like in Coldplay's Viva la Vida or Rainy Days. I already have a good sound for good softer strings, but I am looking for something with a little more punch, especially in the cello. Is there anything out there free or fairly inexpensive that fits this?

Here is an example of the sound I'm looking for. About 1:08 seconds into the song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpbSQFJ4EEc

I am currently looking at Miroslav Philharmonik (Classik edition or Full) and East West Quantum Leap Silver Edition.

Anyway you can help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you =)

Jon
Old 06-30-2010, 06:24 PM

Default Re: String Quartet recommendation (cello, violins, viola)

LA Scoring Strings. Not cheap. Worth every penny. Not bogged down with 500 instruments, only the more useful articulations.

Years ago I stopped using EW after I bought Vienna. It's amazing. And now I've been leaning heavily towards LASS after buying it, even over Vienna, something I hadn't expected to do. I believe these are the top two currently available.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:34 PM

I 2nd what Eric says although I will say that Miroslav is pretty good as well; its not Vienna & I myself hadn't used LASS but only hav heard good things...

thing with Miroslav & pretty much most of the libraries is that ur stuck with whatever effects|room are on them...

Another sleeper is Motu Symphonic Orch, but the attack on it is the weakness with that 1...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 06-30-2010, 08:46 PM

Thanks guys. Althought LASS seems awesome, that is too far from my price range unfortunately. I am leaning towards Philharmonik. I downloaded the demo and it seems cool. However, I am having problems using it in ProTools. It doesn't show up on my plugins list for instruments or anything. I can only open it from my applications folder on my mac as its own program. From there other then play around and make sounds, it doesn't do me much good. The demo is supposed to be fully functional... am I missing something?
Old 06-30-2010, 09:05 PM

I think that the demo with the Chris Hein Sop. Sax isn't very well done. The string programming is often a bit heavy handed, but I get the impression that the sound is there, it just needs to be done better. And the Sax doesn't at all sound like it's in the same room or "sound space" as the strings. I know that it's hard to do with just samples, but I think it could be better done by a real mixing engineer.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:41 PM

I dnt kno how the demo is for Philharmonik but it probably is jus the standalone version...

I did THIS with Philharmonik a couple yrs ago.. there's a little bit of Motu Symphonic Orch in there too...& Piano is a Yahama refill in REASON... Its nuthin like the Coldplay record but its a real user instead of listenin to a demo... [disclaimer: it is very long so u do not hav to listen to it all]

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 06-30-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post
thing with Miroslav & pretty much most of the libraries is that ur stuck with whatever effects|room are on them...
That's part of what I like about Vienna and LASS -- they're both rather free from room sounds, vienna especially. That can be good, or bad, depending on how well stocked you are on reverbs.

EW was recorded in a nice hall by a brilliant engineer (I'm a huge fan of his OTHER work), but I often found the verb to be too prominent. When it worked it worked pretty well. When it didn't... it sure didn't.

The drier samples thrown into a rich reverb (been using Lexicon's Native verb and happy about it) gives great flexibility and keeps them sounding legit.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:00 AM

So LASS works well on the same computer as PT? Kontakt?! Really?
Old 07-01-2010, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
That's part of what I like about Vienna and LASS -- they're both rather free from room sounds, vienna especially. That can be good, or bad, depending on how well stocked you are on reverbs.

EW was recorded in a nice hall by a brilliant engineer (I'm a huge fan of his OTHER work), but I often found the verb to be too prominent. When it worked it worked pretty well. When it didn't... it sure didn't.

The drier samples thrown into a rich reverb (been using Lexicon's Native verb and happy about it) gives great flexibility and keeps them sounding legit.
This whole post is all my same thinkin(& doing for that matter) as of late I've been using the Lexi verbs in VEP.. Love 'em!!!

I have EW too & while I like it, there is so much that it can't be used on for me that I don't even hav 'em in the Plug in folder anymore...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 07-01-2010, 08:28 AM

There's a new product that might work and is inexpensive, especially since you're looking for smaller sections or individual strings, like a quartet.

It's Native Instruments Session Strings, which came out a couple of weeks ago. It's a smaller ensemble of 11 players, and they're promoting it for getting that old school disco string sound (scoops, falls, etc.). But it sounds like it's more versatile than that. And I'm pretty sure (but not totally) that it has some samples of individual strings as well. I downloaded the manual but I still could not verify that completely.

It's only $119 to buy from their website, I'm not sure if you can get it through dealers or not.

You might check out the video and audio samples:

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/...ssion-strings/