Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2010, 08:50 AM

Default Re: String Quartet recommendation (cello, violins, viola)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
There's a new product that might work and is inexpensive, especially since you're looking for smaller sections or individual strings, like a quartet.

It's Native Instruments Session Strings, which came out a couple of weeks ago. It's a smaller ensemble of 11 players, and they're promoting it for getting that old school disco string sound (scoops, falls, etc.). But it sounds like it's more versatile than that. And I'm pretty sure (but not totally) that it has some samples of individual strings as well. I downloaded the manual but I still could not verify that completely.

It's only $119 to buy from their website, I'm not sure if you can get it through dealers or not.

You might check out the video and audio samples:

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/...ssion-strings/
Wow that seems pretty awesome. Now how exactly does Kontakt work? I download the free player and that works in ProTools? So if you get this it just works through Kontakt?
Old 07-01-2010, 10:29 AM

Yes, to clarify, they have a full version of Kontakt, which allows a lot more tweaking and manipulation of samples, plus includes samples. They release their own samples (sort of like expansion packs) formatted for this, and because not everyone needs the power and capabilities of the full version, they make this free version for people who just want specific products. As you can see in the video, it still allows for a good amount of tweaking.

Also, third party sample manufacturers often release their sample products in the Kontakt format and bundle the free Kontakt player with the products, so it's a very widely used and popular format.

For a while, Native Instruments had some compatibility and support issues when using their products with Protools (vs. other DAW's). But it seems in the last year or so that these have been worked out and people are running this in Protools with no issues.

And just to reiterate, I don't know for sure if there's samples of individual violins, violas, etc. It seems like it might, but it's a little vague.

But, hey, for that price, it seems pretty versatile anyway!

Native Instruments has been really on a roll lately with good products at an affordable price, such as this, Alicia's Keys, and Abbey Road 70's Drums.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
So LASS works well on the same computer as PT? Kontakt?! Really?
Of course, and I've used it with large numbers of instruments.

Is that surprising?
Old 07-01-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
It's Native Instruments Session Strings, which came out a couple of weeks ago. It's a smaller ensemble of 11 players, and they're promoting it for getting that old school disco string sound (scoops, falls, etc.).
That product is intentionally being marketed for an entirely different audience. Personally, I wouldn't recommend Sessions Strings for typical quartet sessions. Not that it'll make your ears bleed, but it's aimed at Disco and Motown, and that's a sound quite different from orthodox quartets or even chamber orchestras.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Of course, and I've used it with large numbers of instruments.

Is that surprising?
Yes, it is. Naturally, I am biased by the horrible experience I've had with NI products over the years.

What kind of system are you running, Eric?
Old 07-01-2010, 04:18 PM

I have the Garritan Personal Orchestra and really like it. I also have their Jazz and Big Band library which I also like. You can do nice orchestral and big band sections with their libraries and they are light enough computer resource wise that you can do a full arrangement on a moderately powered computer without pre-rendering tracks.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
Yes, it is. Naturally, I am biased by the horrible experience I've had with NI products over the years.

What kind of system are you running, Eric?
I waded through the awful years of Kontakt, too. Ver 3.5 changed the game. Now at 4.1, it's a rock. I'm using it on 5 or 6 machines, from dual 2GHz up to three month old 8-core Intels. It doesn't crash. Ever.

I've heard of a couple crashes from some people but in the big picture it's extremely rare.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I waded through the awful years of Kontakt, too. Ver 3.5 changed the game. Now at 4.1, it's a rock. I'm using it on 5 or 6 machines, from dual 2GHz up to three month old 8-core Intels. It doesn't crash. Ever.

I've heard of a couple crashes from some people but in the big picture it's extremely rare.
Thank you. You are running Leopard on all machines, yes?
Old 07-02-2010, 02:28 PM

10.5.8 on some, 10.6.3 on others.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
10.5.8 on some, 10.6.3 on others.
Thanks again. I am tempted to go Leopard too, but I currently don't have anything to replace my UA TDM plugins.