Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-17-2021, 08:16 AM

Default Any Use for Original TDM cards?

Getting ready to make the switch from an Old PT 10 HD3 system with Magma Chasis. ( HD 10, Mac os 10 ) to a Mac Mini PT2021 Standard / Native ( Non HD ) System with non Avid I\/O.

Is there any use in the Old Original HD cards? Can they be used with anything modern. * without an expensive upgrade fee / box ETC.

What about the 192 I/O's or 96 I/O's it's my understanding that they can't work without an HD or HDX card to connect to correct?

Just checking on anyones experience here before most likely selling this stuff off.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:12 AM

Default Re: Any Use for Original TDM cards?

DigiDesign branded "blue" interfaces work with current systems, but are not supported. If ever you may need firmware update, that is a no-go.

TDM cards max at PT 10.3.10
Old 01-21-2021, 06:40 PM

Thats what i thought to both of those items. So no use for the TDM cards if you want to get past 10.3.

But the Digi I/o's will work im guessing you need Atleast HD of some sort to run these today correct? As in there is no way to run them with Protools standard?

Over all Protools standard today with a powerful mac runs laps around our 10.3 HD3 system on an old Mac os
Old 01-21-2021, 11:31 PM

Yes the interfaces need to connect via DigiLink cable, which means eiher HD cards, HDN, or HDX cards. Even though HDN and HDX have different connector the old boxes are compatible witn adapters, DigiLink itself has not changed. And yes, to use HD hardware you need HD software (now called Ultimate)
Old 02-02-2021, 12:44 PM

Thought so to all of those things. Not sure Ultimate is something we need att this point. With standard and computers being so powerful
Old 02-02-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akopp View Post
Thought so to all of those things. Not sure Ultimate is something we need att this point. With standard and computers being so powerful
Well it depends. If you need 33rd input, you need Ultimate. If you need greater than stereo mixer, you need Ultimate.

etc.