Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2011, 10:51 AM

Default BFD Lite treachery

I guess I'm the latest to post a thread about a problem with BFD Lite. I had to use this instrument out of desperation, as my other instruments are also having issues. BFD is, to me, a big effing disappointment...

While recording a MIDI session in Pro Tools 8 LE, I created an Instrument track, assigned the BFD Lite plug-in, and then created four MIDI tracks to play through it: kick, snare, hi hat, and crash. Simple. I recorded each of the tracks without any problems...BFD was working (and sounding) beautifully for several playbacks.

However, when I went back to make a few edits to the MIDI tracks, BFD started acting out. Suddenly, any note that was played (whether from the recorded MIDI tracks or in real time, through the keyboard) triggered multiple sounds: I press the key for a kick drum, and I get half a kick drum, plus the end of a snare. I press a hi hat and get pieces of hi hats and toms. All of the notes now include lots of drop-outs and pops.

I have tried several fixes: deleting and re-creating the BFD track...quitting and restarting Pro Tools...restarting the computer...I even saved an alternate session without any other tracks, just the BFD tracks, to conserve RAM. Nothing made a difference.

I scoured through these forums first before posting, and made sure that some of the solutions to other BFD problems didn't apply. It's possible that I missed something, however, so I apologize if this issue has been answered elsewhere on the forum. Can anyone offer a solution?

Many thanks,
Dax
Old 07-08-2011, 10:58 AM

Default Re: BFD Lite treachery

Sounds are just sending a midi notes that triggers a sequence. Maybe the notes got moved accidentally. Move the notes down an octave or so and you'll find the individual instruments. Open the instrument/midi editor and just start working down the notes until you find what you expect. Play around, they'll be there.

Also (or maybe first check this - ) make sure that "respond to song start" is disabled... Click the "play options" icon on the right hand side of the BFD lite window that looks like a play button with a question mark next to it. Uncheck "Respond to Song Start" in the pop-up dialog. Click the icon again to dismiss the pop-up. Enjoy.

Hope that helps.

Darryl
Old 07-08-2011, 11:04 AM

The notes are definitely in the right place, but the samples they're triggering are not playing back correctly. I've had some success: I did another full restart of my system after posting, and the tracks finally started playing correctly, but it's also giving me a lot of CPU overloads. At least I know the BFD samples are working every now and then...
Old 07-08-2011, 05:37 PM

Dax have you installed the BFD Lite update found here? http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...799&NewLang=en
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Ableton Live 10/Presonus Studio 3