Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2000, 07:23 AM

Default double click on midi track opens grid edit

Would be so helpful. This is THE feature that I mostly miss from cubase to really use PT5 as a sequencer. (Being able to open several tracks at once and jump from a track to another within the grid edit window)
It's time consuming to change track size each time you have to check some notes.

Also the ability to quantize from one track to another would be a nice step.
Thank's in advance to listen to these requests.

[This message has been edited by Uma (edited February 08, 2000).]
Old 02-10-2000, 10:56 AM

Default Re: double click on midi track opens grid edit

nobody interrested in such a feature?
Old 02-10-2000, 11:08 AM

Your Right! I liked that in Studio Vision also. Keep all the MIDI Track Small or Tiny and Double click them to bring a Large Window up. I also Posted this List in another Thread.

Things I miss

Event List
Scrubing MIDI Tracks
Drum Editor
Groove Quantize
Arpegiator
Looping of a Single track through-out the song
other Edit options.
Old 02-10-2000, 05:11 PM

These are all good points and things I also miss from StudioVision. The biggest problem I have is with the visual layout of MIDI information in ProTools. It get's difficult to tell the difference between an audio track and a MIDI track. This isn't really a problem when you have just a few tracks to sort through, but when your session is 50 tracks it's painstaking to decipher all the visual information.

How about a third window view, one that mimics the layout of most sequencers, where only the MIDI data is displayed and all at the same small track size and you double-click the track to open it's edit view (StudioVision had this well planned out). This would make life so much easier.

How 'bout it Digi. Can we get a MIDI window to go with our edit and mix windows?
Old 02-10-2000, 05:31 PM

I have moved over to PT from Digital Performer and really miss the layout. Pro Tools is very grey. The track names are hard to see because they are in black type on a grey background like the rest of the interface....very hard to navigate. Some way of colour coding midi and audio tracks would make life easier and also a command to say make all midi tracks disappear when you are editing audio and vice versa. Stereo track support wouldn't hurt and a hot key to change the size of all midi or all audio tracks would be a great help, being able to set zoom settings on those numbered buttons to your own settings.....i would also love to be able to select a track, region or time range of audio and open it in a window to do really detailed edits or at least an option to use an external waveform editor from within pro tools.....as a new user I may not have come across these features yet so forgiver me if I just haven't found them yet but rthen again I have been waiting for over a month since I egistered to get my version 5 manuals not to mention my promo plug ins....
Old 02-10-2000, 05:33 PM

I have moved over to PT from Digital Performer and really miss the layout. Pro Tools is very grey. The track names are hard to see because they are in black type on a grey background like the rest of the interface....very hard to navigate. Some way of colour coding midi and audio tracks would make life easier and also a command to say make all midi tracks disappear when you are editing audio and vice versa. Stereo track support wouldn't hurt and a hot key to change the size of all midi or all audio tracks would be a great help, being able to set zoom settings on those numbered buttons to your own settings.....i would also love to be able to select a track, region or time range of audio and open it in a window to do really detailed edits or at least an option to use an external waveform editor from within pro tools.....as a new user I may not have come across these features yet so forgiver me if I just haven't found them yet but rthen again I have been waiting for over a month since I egistered to get my version 5 manuals not to mention my promo plug ins....
Old 02-10-2000, 05:41 PM

No, please, no more windows. This is the exact reason I hated Studio Vision. Too many windows to navigate through. It's a blessing that the MIDI and audio tracks are together in the edit window and on the mixer. I like the fact that I can mix in the mix window and edit in the edit window.

But a drum grid would be a beautiful thing as a view pull-down option on the MIDI track, like the way you change from notes to velocity views, etc.
Old 02-10-2000, 07:04 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Evolution:
a command to say make all midi tracks disappear when you are editing audio and vice versa.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would Be Perfect!

Midi
Audio
Both
Old 02-10-2000, 07:49 PM

Since this appears to be some kind of feature request thread:
Some kind of detachable bins for regions and files that can float ala Avid.
A text playlist that allows jumping from marker point, region or whatever, to another to try out arrangements, Drag things up or down to change order, then go back to graphic edit window to see changes. Adding cueable outs/X fades/builds etc with programmable fades would create a theater/live performance cue system. This could in essense be a version of Masterlist from within Pro Tools. this would be an easy way around the chunk or subsequence method used in MIDI Sequencers. The graphic only edit window is in fact too linear. We need an easier way to be random access.
Old 02-15-2000, 11:21 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mark Wheaton:
Since this appears to be some kind of feature request thread:
Some kind of detachable bins for regions and files that can float ala Avid.
A text playlist that allows jumping from marker point, region or whatever, to another to try out arrangements, Drag things up or down to change order, then go back to graphic edit window to see changes. Adding cueable outs/X fades/builds etc with programmable fades would create a theater/live performance cue system. This could in essense be a version of Masterlist from within Pro Tools. this would be an easy way around the chunk or subsequence method used in MIDI Sequencers. The graphic only edit window is in fact too linear. We need an easier way to be random access.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>WHere is Step Time..????? For all tose Seq goodies and unplayable riffs/?????