Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2018, 05:55 PM

Default Re: High Sierra and Pro Tools Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
I still don't understand why some people can't get the versions of OS they want from Apple ?? This conversation has been ongoing for quite some time on different threads and answers have been given many times.

We have Applecare on all our Mac computers and all I had to do was start a chat with Applecare and told them I wanted a few older Sierra versions and they sent a link via email with downloadable versions, both combo and full installers. All the way from El Cap to the latest High Sierra. It was like 3 pages with installers.

I didn't need to show any proof of Applecare or anything, I just contacted their support here in Sweden and started a chat. Very simple and painless.
Well it seems Apple in Sweden are obviously kind and do not try to be difficult. As you can see, others of us have tried, I even spent hours on the phone trying to have my imac pro delivered with 10.13.3, to no avail.. I checked 15 apple authorised repairers as well. Not one of them kept older OS full installers. Ridiculous.

Anyway lesson learned. I am downloading every single full release of mojave as they come out and will back them all up on a dedicated flash drive, and in a year when it comes time to go to mojave, I will install the version that best works with PT :)

I wish I had done that with High Sierra but I was just very lucky I found a kind soul at Cubase, and.. lesson learned alright!

I wonder if you called Apple now if they'd give you a full installer for 10.13.3.. Maybe they wouldn't do it anymore ??? Who knows
Old 08-28-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Well it seems Apple in Sweden are obviously kind and do not try to be difficult. As you can see, others of us have tried, I even spent hours on the phone trying to have my imac pro delivered with 10.13.3, to no avail.. I checked 15 apple authorised repairers as well. Not one of them kept older OS full installers. Ridiculous.

Anyway lesson learned. I am downloading every single full release of mojave as they come out and will back them all up on a dedicated flash drive, and in a year when it comes time to go to mojave, I will install the version that best works with PT :)

I wish I had done that with High Sierra but I was just very lucky I found a kind soul at Cubase, and.. lesson learned alright!

I wonder if you called Apple now if they'd give you a full installer for 10.13.3.. Maybe they wouldn't do it anymore ??? Who knows
Just called apple and they have nothing available but you know its sitting on his desk but won't let you have it. Jerk! Well I'll probably wait to upgrade at this point because I haven't enough people using 2018 with 10.13.6 that's stable with no problems but if I do I'll upgrade away. Otherwise I'll wait until Mojave is approved for 2018.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnssn View Post

Does you link of all still work?
Hey

I will take a look and if so I will PM you the links.

I am stunned at how Apple US treats its customers, horrible and the price we pay for these over priced machines we should get a free USB drive with every OSX version ever released included in the purchase

We all know they have the installers right there but maybe it is too much work for them to help out .. who knows but here we can still get any version we need. I got the 10.13.2 and 10.13.3 a few weeks ago on email so they still help out here in sweden atleast.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-29-2018, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Hey

I am stunned at how Apple US treats its customers, horrible and the price we pay for these over priced machines we should get a free USB drive with every OSX version ever released included in the purchase

We all know they have the installers right there but maybe it is too much work for them to help out .. who knows but here we can still get any version we need. I got the 10.13.2 and 10.13.3 a few weeks ago on email so they still help out here in sweden atleast.
and apple au sadly..

Although I have to say something...

When i bought my imac pro on the phone,( lucky I did a phone order and my internet was momentarily down!).. literally out of the blue, I did not ask nor expect such a thing, the lady on the phone said, "Since you have been a loyal apple customer I just want to let you know I'm taking 500$ off the price for you". Which was a really nice surprise.
But yeah., not having older OS is BS.. I am sure Apple tells them not to give it.. very very strange policy.. but even microsoft is going that way with forced updates now, as you know.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:30 AM

It really is sad indeed. It's probably because Apple doesn't wanna have a support team for all the older versions and configs but some versions of Music software works better on older OSX so those should atleast be available for their customers. These days most people can support their own systems and I doubt Apple would get more work just because they were a bit more helpful with versions of the OS.

I will look into the links tonight and see if they still work now and help those who need installers full and or combo.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-29-2018, 06:46 AM

If these can be of any help, here΄s a link to the full installer for the latest El Capitan (10.11.6) as well as a link to the full installer for the latest Sierra (10.12.6).

https://itunes.apple.com/app/os-x-el...47835434?mt=12

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/maco...414?ls=1&mt=12

Clicking the url will open the Mac App Store, from where you can download the installer.

-matts
Old 08-29-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Hey

Wait a minute do you got the email from Apple for the High Sierra 10.13.0? If so can you message that to me? Otherwise I’m thinking of download OS El Capitan because I got a copy of that. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock12 View Post
Wait a minute do you got the email from Apple for the High Sierra 10.13.0? If so can you message that to me? Otherwise I’m thinking of download OS El Capitan because I got a copy of that. Thanks.
why would you want 10.13.0 over the 10.13.2 i uploaded?

10.13.2 and 10.13.3 are much better as they are more refined.. the point 0 release was buggy!

Also, if you install 10.13.2 full installer, you can even not choose to update to 10.13.3 and have a perfect computer ready to install the latest PT as 10.13.2 is fully avid supported :)

High Sierra had some strange issues that got smoothed out later on...

Honestly, when Avid fix the issues, 10.13.6 will still be a better option long term.

Also, if you were at 128 buffer or higher, the latest High Sierra is fine anyway.. It's just if you want to work at under 128 buffer (for 44/48K, or under 256 buffer for 88/96K).

The thing NOT to do is install Mojave 10.14.0 which I know a lot of people WILL do on day one LOL!
Old 08-30-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
why would you want 10.13.0 over the 10.13.2 i uploaded?

10.13.2 and 10.13.3 are much better as they are more refined.. the point 0 release was buggy!

Also, if you install 10.13.2 full installer, you can even not choose to update to 10.13.3 and have a perfect computer ready to install the latest PT as 10.13.2 is fully avid supported :)

High Sierra had some strange issues that got smoothed out later on...

Honestly, when Avid fix the issues, 10.13.6 will still be a better option long term.

Also, if you were at 128 buffer or higher, the latest High Sierra is fine anyway.. It's just if you want to work at under 128 buffer (for 44/48K, or under 256 buffer for 88/96K).

The thing NOT to do is install Mojave 10.14.0 which I know a lot of people WILL do on day one LOL!
Lol ya I won’t be one of guys to download Mojave until it’s Compatibility. You’re right I would be cool with 10.3.2. But if I did the 10.3.6 you’re saying it’s stable if I’m running say 256 or 512 at 44? or 48K? If so then maybe I should just go for that. Honestly I haven’t had to go below 256 for recording. Appreciate the input.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock12 View Post
Lol ya I won’t be one of guys to download Mojave until it’s Compatibility. You’re right I would be cool with 10.3.2. But if I did the 10.3.6 you’re saying it’s stable if I’m running say 256 or 512 at 44? or 48K? If so then maybe I should just go for that. Honestly I haven’t had to go below 256 for recording. Appreciate the input.
Of course I can send the links for .0 release BUT as TNM pointed out .2 and .3 versions are much more stable and I would run one of the two instead of a .0 release.

Download TNM's 10.13.3 and try it out. If you wanna go below that release just let me know.

PS. El Cap should never have been released to anyone
Do Not Use = ElCapitan

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————