Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-05-2002, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Peter & Roy\'s PTLe Shootout 1: ~FINAL RESULTS~

Quote:
So, I personaly enjoyed Torment v2&1 the best. And that just happend to be there in the way.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey, Thanks, I appreciate that. I hope you mean "Burn 1 and 2" [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
I thought most of the entrants would shoot for a ballady style song, which is why I did the versions I did, upped the tempo, and put some electronic elements to it. Thanks again!
=-Ben
Old 10-05-2002, 10:04 PM

I haven't picked a personal favorite yet...I can see why they had such a hard time judging...There's a lot of cool tricks to learn from many of them...
Old 10-05-2002, 10:07 PM

Peter,
No pop phychology going on. Just observations. You, Peter, wrote more, described things in depth, and managed to give numerical ratings that varied according to the way you viewed the work. Whether I agree with your reviews and view (which mostly I do) I respect that you did the work and broke them down into their constituent parts. Cheers to you.

Roy, on the other hand, wrote about two sentences in each case, and seemed in many cases to simply choose a number for the arrangement and type it in 12 times repetitively for everything being reviewed. For this I can't applaud, even though again I agree with many, if not most, of his comments on the individual songs.

I deeply respect your willingness to stand up for the two of you as a group, but I stand by my observations. I respect that you, or others, may not agree. So be it.

(I'll let the book comment go as this is so much easier than dealing with an editor.) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

With best reards,
Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by Last:
Dear Mark

Since both Roy and I together decided on the approach to this shootout, one has to really stretch the pop-psychology a lot to successfully assign a role to one of us. I am glad you admit that it is not important to you, because it is not important to us either. Your analytical observations are entertaining though. Perhaps you should consider writing a book.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Have a nice day now!
~Peter
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 10-05-2002, 10:22 PM

keheehehee... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] deep stuff...

Stu,

Got 'Po Boy' in a PT session now, checkin it out...
I'm thinkin... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks, Roy
Old 10-05-2002, 10:38 PM

Cool, can't wait to here it.I'll be working here at Intel the next few days so I won't have any studio time until I get off.Hopefully I won't get shot in the head walking in my front door.We have some lunatic shooting people up here man It's kind of scarey.Thanks for the kind words on my verses. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Talk to you later Stu
Old 10-06-2002, 02:44 AM

Mark sounds like you have it in for Roy my man.I'm not gonna criticise either side.But I have to say that being a Judge is not easy,especially when your judging friends.I look at Roys comments as CONSTRUCTIVE criticism that helps someone to strive to be better.No matter how good you are there is always something to learn.The day we stop learning is the day we stop getting better.
Old 10-06-2002, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Roy & Peter
Member # 31783

posted October 05, 2002 08:46 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Lalaman:

I pull my head off to you all and bow down till toes.

To all those who entered, we could not possibly have put it any better
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

You see? With a fool mixing words up it sometimes can be accidentally hit right. While for me it was meant "hat" for you with all that brain work "head" was quite ok.
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

All the test ...uhm best

Lalaman
Old 10-06-2002, 06:15 AM

Quote:
No pop phychology going on. Just observations. You, Peter, wrote more, described things in depth, and managed to give numerical ratings that varied according to the way you viewed the work. Whether I agree with your reviews and view (which mostly I do) I respect that you did the work and broke them down into their constituent parts. Cheers to you.

Roy, on the other hand, wrote about two sentences in each case, and seemed in many cases to simply choose a number for the arrangement and type it in 12 times repetitively for everything being reviewed. For this I can't applaud, even though again I agree with many, if not most, of his comments on the individual songs.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ya gotta marvel at people who did not participate in any capacity, then pop into this contest thread and start criticizing the volunteers who actually did the work.

Hopefully, nobody in the group who put time and effort into this event gives a flying wazoo about these issues - Pete and Roy have different styles (which is a good thing) and they both did their jobs. So kudos to them and let's get the focus back to where it belongs...the music.

I'm listening to the tracks now, and I'm having a blast. They really are all great. I'll be back with some comments later.
Yosemite OS
Old 10-06-2002, 06:37 AM

soundsurfr,
In that case, I expect that the 12 participants and two judges would be the only people to post? I think not. No matter.

However, at the risk of having Digi decide that further comments on this subject by me might violate the DUC terms of use (harrassing Roy) I will cease to discuss his 'volunteerism' in this thread.

Lest it be forgotton, and as I said earlier, I really did enjoy all of the work the musicians did. As I said earlier, there was some really great stuff there.

Regards,
Mark

[quote]Originally posted by soundsurfr:
Quote:
Ya gotta marvel at people who did not participate in any capacity, then pop into this contest thread and start criticizing the volunteers who actually did the work.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 10-06-2002, 08:46 AM

I have a question...has this ever been done before? I have never heard of this kind of exercise, and I still find it to be an amazing way to showcase the creative and artistic leanings of a group of musicians.

I'd like to contact the electronic music publicaions (Electronic Musician, Home Recording, etc.) and suggest that they do an article on this. Does anyone have an objection? Also, does anyone have an objection to having the song links published? (Theoretically, all of the links are already publicly available by virtue of their being in this forum.)

If one or more of the magazines actually bites, I'm going to load all of the MP3's to a single area on my site and make it available as one link. (Hopefully my file transfer limit won't be exceeded!)

Let me know if anyone has any reservations.

By the way - after two full listens through to everybody's stuff...I like Mr. Seven's mix the best. Can't even tell you why...it just sounds cool to me.

Murph, I love yours,too. Deserved every one of its 85 points.

I think a lot of the judging had to do with musical style and reflected the tastes and preferences of the judges. That's entirely appropriate given the nature of the way this contest took shape. It went from being a "who can do the best mix on a song" to "who can write and record the best arrangement for a melody line/vocal". I know for sure that if we were judged on technical merits and mix quality only, mine would have been lower in the pack.

For example, I knew when I posted the track that the low end of the acoustic guitar was booming and should have had a high-pass shelving EQ patched onto it. Also the vocal is sitting too high in the mix and becomes shrill at times. I'd be interested in the honest opinions of others out there about the mix in particular. I think there were other mixes that did a better job in terms of clarity and overall sound.

Also, the rather interesting controversy surrounding the application of minor chords to the major-key vocal is a neat by-product of the contest. I can definitely understand and agree with Roy's criticisms in those cases...but in more than one track I heard a couple of minor voicings in the verse that worked in very interesting and unexpected ways. I'll try to go back and identify which ones those were.
Yosemite OS