Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 08-23-2017, 12:59 AM

Default Apollo Twin Mk2 excellent converters

Basically it ainīt big news I know.
Anyway I wanted to give some people a short heads up if they are looking for a new, small interface for PT12.

I have installed a small state of the art home recording set up for a friend and guitarist using the new UA Apollo
Twin Mk2 for the audio interface and I really was surprised how fabulously this little interface was sounding.

The silver Mk1 series became famous for itīs quality but the Mk2 series is definitely a step up.
As always the UA drivers and software were working flawlessly with PT12 and any other audio applications.

So, this is another recommendation for a small, high quality audio interface for people who donīt need more
than two mic pres (you can extend it via 8 ADAT channels of course) but still want serious pro audio quality.

Finally let me say that you donīt have to buy it for the UA plugins which might be an interesting option but much
more important for the outstanding A/D-D/A converters, mic pres and the well working, stable drivers/software.
Means these little boxes are great even if you are not up to using many UA plugins. They are just working more
reliably and sounding better than anything else in this price range from my personal experience.

From (for people who do not intend to use many UA plugins but want to benefit from the high end converters etc.)
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ApolloTSmkII
or
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ApolloTDmkII
to (capable of handling a more serious amount of UA plugins)
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ApolloTQmkII

I have nothing to do with UA personally except have been using their interfaces for a certain amount of time successfully.
Have just become a convinced user of these boxes (besides the UA plugins which are certainly nice ones).
Itīs just because of the audio quality of it and the stability and reliability of their drivers on Mac (now macOS 10.12.6).

This recommendation is based on Mac systems and the Apollo Twin Mk2 Thunderbolt models.
http://www.uaudio.com/audio-interfac...twin-mkii.html

Cheers.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Apollo Twin Mk2 excellent converters

I'm waiting to have a ATMk2 Duo delivered Wednesday. I'm replacing a original Apogee Duet I bought in 2006. Looking forward to Apollo Twin. The Duet served me well for 11 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-18-2018, 07:02 PM

I'm curious since you used to have the Duet, how you like the converters on the Apollo MK2?

I currently have a Duet which I love, but am now considering the ApolloMK2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebee62 View Post
I'm waiting to have a ATMk2 Duo delivered Wednesday. I'm replacing a original Apogee Duet I bought in 2006. Looking forward to Apollo Twin. The Duet served me well for 11 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-21-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooveagent View Post
I'm curious since you used to have the Duet, how you like the converters on the Apollo MK2?

I currently have a Duet which I love, but am now considering the ApolloMK2.
You initially asked Seebee but let me tell you that I also had a the silver, original Quartet and the latest version of the Duet before I replaced it with a series 1 Apollo Thunderbolt.

I always loved Apogee for the converters/their audio quality (not so much for their drivers which continuously caused troubles even on current, powerful systems).

Therefor I was more than surprised how good these Apollos were sounding. I once was very skeptical about the whole UA/Apollo hype before I got it myself.
It was Christopher from the DUC here who made me curious about it and who convinced me to try it out finally.

I'm still grateful for this and I have never looked back. I never have missed my old Apogees on any single day since I got my Apollo. The Apollo simply is one step up as for the quality
of the converters and the overall audio quality imo.

And then they released the MK2.

What can I say? I set up a small but really high quality home studio for a friend and I recommended him the Apollo Twin Mk2 for the audio interface just because of my own super positive
experience throughout 2 years (never had any driver issue with any version of macOS, always perfectly stable performance with Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase and other audio applications,
very low latency and superior audio quality on the monitors as well as on recording via Unison preamps).

You know what? The new Mk2 series was another step up in regards to the converters. It just blew me away what such a small box would sound like. And many high end guys I have met
meanwhile have witnessed that the MK2 boxes are more than impressive.

Don't worry. You will be surprised how much better the Twin Mk2 will sound in comparison to your Duet.

If you will get one of these Apollos don't hesitate to invest a bit more in one or two of these Unison Preamp channels. It will be more than worth the money in the long run.
You not necessarily need the other expensive UA plugins for mixing if you are on a budget but you really want one or two of the high class Unison Preamps (Neve RS88, 1073, Manley Voxbox, SSL etc.)
for recording. If your source material and your mic will match the Unison preamp well you will receive professionally usable, studio hardware-results. Itīs incredible what you can do with just that little box,
the right Unison preamp and the matching, good quality mic or instrument.

Again. Don't hesitate. Under normal circumstances you will be more than satisfied with the MK2 at the end of the day.

The best of success to you and lots of fun with your new gear.

Cheers, VRW